Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

M2 Mac Mini Bluetooth Issues

My mom recently upgraded to the M2 mac mini in December 2023. I'd been setting it up with my wired razer mouse and a bluetooth Apple keyboard, and everything was running smoothly until I decided to use my bluetooth Apple mouse instead of my razer mouse. Then weird stuff started happening. After a little while, my mouse would start lagging and skipping. And not long after, I heard clicking noises coming from the mini and the system would sometimes freeze up as would my keyboard.

I've used the mini multiple times before now with no issues. It seems to only be the bluetooth Apple mouse that messes it up. It's not a huge deal, since my mom uses a wired apple keyboard and Logitech mouse. But I found it incredibly concerning especially the clicking thing.

I read a lot of other posts on here that says the Apple mouse in particular does not play well with the M2 Mac mini. Is it just having multiple bluetooth devices going at the same time? Or is it just the Apple mouse that's the issue? I just wanted to make sure the mini isn't defective or something. From what I've read it sounds like it's just the bluetooth. It is an older magic mouse, probably the 1st model as is the compact Apple bluetooth keyboard. This just doesn't seem normal at all. I still use both of them with my 2011 Macbook Pro and don't have this issues. The M2 mini is still running the latest Ventura, because I didn't want to deal with compatibility issues with Adobe stuff yet in Sonoma. Although, I've heard Sonoma doesn't make it any better. Thoughts?

Mac mini (M2, 2023)

Posted on Dec 24, 2023 7:38 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 24, 2023 8:29 PM in response to Omek

Bluetooth issues can be tricky, but it's not uncommon for certain peripherals to have compatibility problems with specific Mac models or macOS versions. Since your Apple mouse is an older model, it might not be optimized for the M2 Mac mini or the latest macOS version.

To troubleshoot, you can try the following:

1. Update macOS to the latest version to ensure you have any potential bug fixes.

2. Reset the Bluetooth module on the Mac mini. You can do this by going to "System Preferences" > "Bluetooth" > "Advanced" > "Reset Bluetooth Module."

3. Remove the Bluetooth mouse from the list of paired devices and re-pair it.

4. Check for firmware updates for your Bluetooth peripherals if available.

5. Test the mouse on another Mac or device to see if the issue persists.

If the problem continues, it might be worth reaching out to Apple Support for more specific guidance on your M2 Mac mini and its compatibility with older Bluetooth peripherals. They can provide tailored advice based on the current state of software updates and known issues.

Apr 25, 2024 1:16 AM in response to SunflowerSummer

Yes, I also have a 2023 Mac mini, with wireless mouse, keyboard, pad (all apple devices - keyboard & trackpad are the older style battery ones, the mouse is the one you charge every few days with a wire), and a studio display. I also have an apple time capsule which I use for backups.

Ever since new, periodically, I get the laggy mouse, and usually turning the trackpad on & off fixes it. But not today. Nothing worked, I could hear the clicking from the Mac, but not way of finding what was the issue - so I had to power the Mac off (not an ideal solution). However, trying to follow the instructions, there is no "System Preferences" > "Bluetooth" > "Advanced" > "Reset Bluetooth Module."

M2 Mac Mini Bluetooth Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.