You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APFS option not appearing in DISK Utility

i am on MacOS Sonoma 14.2.1 but dis utility is not giving me an option to format in APFS. see attached image. what am I missing?

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 25, 2023 4:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2023 4:59 AM

You need to erase the device, not the volume. The device needs a GUID partition map for APFS.

10 replies

May 28, 2024 4:43 AM in response to Shailjasheetal

The issue likely lies in the view mode. By default, Disk Utility might only show partitions within a drive, not the physical disk itself. APFS formatting typically applies to the entire disk.

Here's how to fix it:

1. Open Disk Utility and head over to the "View" menu in the top left corner.
  2. Instead of "Show Only Volumes," choose "Show All Devices." This will display all physical disks in the sidebar.
  3. Select the specific disk you want to format with APFS from the sidebar list.
  4. Click the "Erase" button at the top. Now you should see the "APFS" option available in the format dropdown menu. Give your disk a name and choose APFS.
  5. Hit "Erase" again to confirm the formatting process.

Remember! Formatting erases everything, so back up any important data on the disk before proceeding. APFS is ideal for internal SSDs on modern Macs, but if you need the drive to work with older systems or Windows, consider exFAT for wider compatibility.

By switching the view mode to show all devices, you should be able to format your disk with APFS in Disk Utility on macOS Sonoma.

May 27, 2024 6:32 PM in response to junirpilot

junirpilot wrote:

Thank you Matti Haveri. But there's a problem for me. When the device is chosen, The "Partition" icon in the top menu bar of the Disk Utility is greyed out and won't do anything. I know of no other way to change the partition map.

That's not required anymore. Click Erase with the device selected and you can change the partition map.

Jan 30, 2024 1:23 PM in response to Shailjasheetal

I struggled with a similar issue as I needed to convert to APFS for Catalina upgrade. Via Restart Cmd-R I was trying to use the older disk utility that was installed (I think the version was from 2016). It didn't have APFS as an option. What finally worked is I did Restart Cmd-Opt-R to get the "online" Disk Utility (2019 version). This allowed me to erase the drive using APFS. Catalina is currently being installed.

APFS option not appearing in DISK Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.