Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Protecting MacBook keyboard

Hello everyone, i recently purchased a M2 15” MacBook Air. This is my very first MacBook, or personal laptop. I want to know how i can protect my keyboard from wearing out from repetitive typing, although i have seen people use key keyboard covers, but i have heard that it damages your screen when you close it. I was fixing to get stickers to put on it but that would also protect it from dust, or cat hair. Does anyone have any products or anything to suggest with getting this issue resolved, or any experience with some keyboard covers?

Thank you greatly for whoever replies!

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Jan 1, 2024 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2024 6:27 PM

Hello, thank you for reaching out.

Yes, keyboard skins/covers are typically discouraged by Apple because it can result in damage to the screen.

In my opinion, keyboard covers aren't really necessary, and they can also affect cooling and restrict airflow. MacBook keyboards in my experience are generally pretty durable and you shouldn't have too many issues with it.

Hope this answers your question, have a great 2024!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2024 6:27 PM in response to JeremiahSandoval

Hello, thank you for reaching out.

Yes, keyboard skins/covers are typically discouraged by Apple because it can result in damage to the screen.

In my opinion, keyboard covers aren't really necessary, and they can also affect cooling and restrict airflow. MacBook keyboards in my experience are generally pretty durable and you shouldn't have too many issues with it.

Hope this answers your question, have a great 2024!

Apr 26, 2024 1:35 PM in response to JeremiahSandoval

I've used a keyboard skin on my 2012 MacBook Air with no problem. Someone else in the household has been using one for about the same time. The main reason I use it is because I often eat while I'm using it and want to keep crumbs from going into keyboard.

My two data points. I now have a new M2 and will probably get one for it, unless I read a good reason not to.

Protecting MacBook keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.