Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Persistent Crashes and Markup Loss Issue on iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (6th generation)

I am writing to bring to your attention a persistent and frustrating issue I have been experiencing with my latest iPad Pro, running the latest iOS version.

As a professional working extensively with architectural PDF drawings, my workflow involves accessing these files to perform markups. Unfortunately, I have encountered a significant problem wherein the application consistently crashes, leading to the loss of my markups. This occurs despite the fact that pdf drawings are not particularly data-heavy.

The frequency of these crashes has made it exceedingly difficult for me to carry out my work effectively. I rely on the reliability and performance of Apple products, and this issue is hindering my productivity and causing frustration.

To provide you with more details:

- Device: iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (6th generation)

- iOS Version: 17.2

I kindly request your urgent attention to this matter as it impacts my ability to perform essential tasks for my profession. I believe in the quality and efficiency of Apple products, and I am confident that your team can address and resolve this issue promptly.

If there are any diagnostic steps or additional information you require, please do not hesitate to let me know. I appreciate your prompt assistance in resolving this matter and look forward to a quick and effective solution.

Thank you for your time and attention.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Jan 2, 2024 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2024 6:45 PM

iPad Pro 12.9” (5th gen) here running iOS 17.2 and it happens to me. I was annotating today for about a half hour and lost all the markups. Since you have to exit out and reenter the document it’s not easy to continuously save the markups every step of the way.

Since this is a core function of an iPad and Apple Pencil, I feel like it should be fixed asap… but I just found a thread dating back to the iOS 17.0 update about it. 🥺

Here is the other thread

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2024 6:45 PM in response to hugonnnn

iPad Pro 12.9” (5th gen) here running iOS 17.2 and it happens to me. I was annotating today for about a half hour and lost all the markups. Since you have to exit out and reenter the document it’s not easy to continuously save the markups every step of the way.

Since this is a core function of an iPad and Apple Pencil, I feel like it should be fixed asap… but I just found a thread dating back to the iOS 17.0 update about it. 🥺

Here is the other thread

Apr 26, 2024 9:03 AM in response to austa176

austa176 wrote:

Dear Apple, I am commenting on this thread to ask that you PLEASE devote time to this issue, because I'm at my wits' end. I came and wrote this comment rather than throwing my iPad across my office. You have the resources of a trillion dollar company, so hopefully this thread gets big enough for you to notice it and find a solution.

First, perhaps understand the Apple Support Community is a user-to-user technical forum. Contributors here are all end-users, just like you. Other than the site Moderators, Apple neither monitor nor participate here.

As such, if you hope to reach Apple through these forums, you will be disappointed.

Apple does invite submission of comments and Bug Reports via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

May 2, 2024 2:18 AM in response to loopnot

loopnot wrote:

My iPad Pro has the same issue. Sudden crashes and I loose my entire markup. Can we have a response from Apple here, this has clearly been an issue for many years.

Understand that the Apple Support Community is a user-to-user technical forum. Contributors here are all end-users, just like you. Other than the site Moderators, Apple neither monitor nor participate here.

As such, if you hope to reach Apple through these forums, you will be disappointed.

Apple does invite submission of comments and Bug Reports via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Apr 20, 2024 6:45 PM in response to hugonnnn

Same issue. iPad Pro 12.9" (6th gen) running 17.4.1

I hadn't noticed this issue until today when I was using Markup with an Apple Pencil on a PDF file in the native File Viewer app. The PDF is 11 pages, only a few mb in size, and being saved to my desktop via iCloud.

Markup will often crash, resulting in a loss of all Markup changes since the last "save" - (unclear). Crashes seem to be increasing in frequency over the course of the day, since I started with only a few/hour, to most recently a crash every few minutes. I can't figure out if something is triggering the crashes, maybe when I zoom in or switch apps? I tried closing all other apps, disconnecting from wifi, restarting, etc..., but I'm still experiencing the issue. It's very strange and very frustrating.

Apr 26, 2024 8:40 AM in response to hugonnnn

I use my 12.9-inch iPad Pro (3rd gen) for literally every part of my job, and I have been dealing with this issue for the past maybe 2 years. I've searched this question multiple times, but there's never been a solution that I could find. This is the single most frustrating thing I have ever experienced with any Apple product. When the Files app crashes and restarts, it deletes ALL of the data I've entered since the last deliberate save. I do not have time to be constantly re-entering data after spending (potentially) several hours writing it in the first time.

Dear Apple, I am commenting on this thread to ask that you PLEASE devote time to this issue, because I'm at my wits' end. I came and wrote this comment rather than throwing my iPad across my office. You have the resources of a trillion dollar company, so hopefully this thread gets big enough for you to notice it and find a solution.

Persistent Crashes and Markup Loss Issue on iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (6th generation)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.