Microphone Issues since 17.2.1 update.

Hey all. Updated to iOS 17.2.1 yesterday and having a new issue I haven’t seen brought up yet. Microphone issues. Everything was fine before update.

Now: when I place regular call mic works intermittently. Sometimes people hear me. Sometimes not. Seems to be better when on WiFi than not. Toggling the volumes in sounds/haptics seems to temp fix.

Speakerphone and FaceTime always work.

Checked mic using voice memo and Siri. No problems. Works perfectly.

Also: video recording on front and back camera produces only a static white noise sound. Nothing else records. However, used Instagram app to record a video and this doesn’t happen.

Only change was new iOS update. Used phone prior and it worked. After and have above issues.

Anyone else something similar?

I’ve tried all troubleshooting steps:

cleaned mic ports.

cycled the phone (restart)

reset network settings

have appt with Genius Bar Saturday but really don’t want to be having intermittent phone when my wife is home nine months pregnant 🤷🏻‍♂️

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 3, 2024 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2024 10:56 AM

I have the same problem, but when I was on 17.3 everything was fine, I switched to 17.4 and it started...

Similar questions

18 replies

Jan 25, 2024 2:31 PM in response to Kmcrae1

As for Snapchat, the audio doesn't record. For calls sometimes they do

Listen sometimes they don't. Voice memos, WhatsApp and install audios are distorted at times

It's intermittent. I visited Apple service 4/5 times now and was in touch with Apple support, but all the hardware was fine in the diagnosis. They told me the new update would solve it 17.3, but again today it happened. IDK what bug is this, and why arent they solving it. Its such a pain

Mar 21, 2024 1:05 AM in response to Kmcrae1

Same problem, it’s like noise cancelling is reversed.

In calls and voice memos, my voice is almost inaudible, but static noise is loud, and the sound of touching the iPhone is very loud, e.g. flipping the “silent notifications” button makes a loud noise on the recording. So does tapping the case anywhere.

The sound is fine when taking videos though, and my headphones’ microphone works correctly in all apps. But I can’t make calls without headphones.

Mar 31, 2024 5:08 AM in response to job182

The Apple Store support tech fixed this for me by scrubbing the bottom and top/front microphones with isopropyl and a brush for quite a long time. Only the third scrubbing made their audio test pass. Seems that something was blocking the mic, but it wasn’t visible at all. Hope that helps someone else.

Jun 11, 2024 9:01 AM in response to Kmcrae1

I just upgraded from my iPhone 10 just before Memorial Day to the iPhone 15 Pro. It came with 17.5, but prompted me a few days later with upgrading to 17.5.1. Once I did that, any time that I call someone they cannot hear me for the first 10 to 40 seconds. They complain that they are getting every other word or that it is digitizing my voice so that they don't understand me. Strangely enough this is not an issue if I use Facetime or Facetime Audio. Verizon replaced the actual phone after they tried changing a bunch of different settings, but the new phone has the exact same issue. It's definitely not a dirty microphone since it's a brand new iPhone out of the box. Looking for a solution here. Any suggestions?

Microphone Issues since 17.2.1 update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.