SMS text sync issue and iMessages in iCloud "syncing paused"

There are two issues I would like addressed. First, there have been occasions where SMS (green bubble) text messages sent and received are not syncing between my iPhone 13 (version iOS 17.2.1) and MacBook Pro 16-inch 2023 Apple M2 Pro (version Sonoma 14.1.1). I am on the iCloud+ plan (200 GB) and, of that amount, 79.6 GB is used. Of the 79.6, 5.5 GB is used for iMessage storage. I've tried all of these steps:

found here - Texts not syncing - Apple Community

"Set up text message forwarding

1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. On your Mac, open Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. Make sure that you're signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on all your devices.
  2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.*
  3. Choose which devices can send and receive text messages from your iPhone. If you're not using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, a verification code appears on each of your other devices: enter that code on your iPhone.

As long as your iPhone is turned on and connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network, new SMS/MMS texts can be sent and received on the devices that you added.

* Don't see the Text Message Forwarding setting on your iPhone? Go to Settings > Messages, turn off iMessage, turn it back on, tap Send & Receive, tap Use Your Apple ID for iMessage, then sign in with the same Apple ID used on your other devices."

If the settings look correct you'll then want to try restarting both of your devices. It can seem like a simple step, but it can sometimes help resolve unexpected issues.

If the issue continues, please let us know if this is happening with iMessages (blue bubbles), SMS/MSS (green bubbles), or both, as that can help us determine possible next steps."

Second, trying to "Sync now" in the "Messages in iCloud" consistently goes back into a "Syncing paused" mode whether or not the iPhone is plugged in.

I would appreciate assistance in resolving both of these issues. Thank you!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Jan 5, 2024 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2024 2:48 AM

Same thing happening with me. iMessages are syncing, but SMS messages are not. I tried all the steps above, including restarting both after changes, and sign out/sign in from iCloud from the phone app. macOS Sonoma 14.2.1 and IOS 17.2.1

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 26, 2024 3:08 PM in response to Nonnie2013

I believe I’m having a similar (and new) issue, a group SMS chat seemed to update just fine on my MBPro but not on my iOS devices. Restarts didn’t work, manually pressing “sync” in the various device’s Preferences didn’t work and I was about to do the sign in and out of iMessages until I had an idea. On the working MBPro thread I typed “Test”. Within seconds the “Test” appeared on both my “stuck” iPad and iPhone, and the rest of the messages sync’d immediately and all seems good (for now). FWIW they’re all on my home wifi network. Maybe try a variation of this on your devices and see if it “bumps them into sync” like mine did?

SMS text sync issue and iMessages in iCloud "syncing paused"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.