iTunes update fails

Dell laptop, Windows 11, tried the 'download only option.

See attachments

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 10, 2024 5:22 PM

9 replies

Jan 10, 2024 5:37 PM in response to gw031652

The general troubleshooting advice when iTunes fails to install properly (and reinstalling or repairing it does not work) is to remove not only iTunes but all related components, reboot, remove the target installation folders and reinstall. This should not affect your music library. See the Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components section in:

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Wi… - Apple Community

Jan 13, 2024 4:01 PM in response to jimbob5941

I don't have any specific knowledge on this topic, different builds can cause different issues for different people. An advantage of using the traditional installer over the Microsoft Store version is that you can downgrade if the latest version doesn't appear to work correctly for you. The MS Store version will update automatically, with no option to revert to an older build. See the very bottom of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates - Apple Community for links to recent builds.

tt2

Jan 14, 2024 11:05 AM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

I don't have any specific knowledge on this topic, different builds can cause different issues for different people. An advantage of using the traditional installer over the Microsoft Store version is that you can downgrade if the latest version doesn't appear to work correctly for you. The MS Store version will update automatically, with no option to revert to an older build. See the very bottom of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates - Apple Community for links to recent builds.

tt2

Thanks again TT2 you always seem to be bailing out huddled masses and we appreciate it! :-)

I have been using the MS store version for several years since my last computer upgrade.

IIRC I was, and am still, using the 32-bit version of MS Office and at the time Apple had

suspended support for the 32-bit aka "for older video cards" version of iTunes ...

I could have the wrong but I think that's what happened...

Now it appears they offer both 32-bit and 64-bit stand alone versions, so I could uninstall and go back to the 32-bit version if worse comes to worse.

Again thanks for saving the bacon of all us regular folks!

Jim

Jan 14, 2024 2:00 PM in response to jimbob5941

I'm suggesting going back one or two builds, not all the way into the past. 12.7.2.58 or better is required to access accounts in the iTunes store, and later versions are required for particular flavours of iOS. There is a 32-bit version of iTunes for Windows, but you shouldn't install it on a 64-bit machine. 32-bit Office is also a bit of an anachronism.

tt2

Jan 14, 2024 2:46 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks tt2

I think I built my current laptop in ~2018 after my old one was stolen on a motorcycle trip thru Mexico ...

but ... that's a story for a different day ;-)

I swear I'll get my next build all squared away ;-)

I didn't have much time for the rebuild so I ended up with a bit of a Frankenstein ...

W10-64bit / Office 32-bit / Microsoft store version of iTunes ... currently at V 12.11.3.17

Someday soon when I'm brave I'll upgrade ...

My iPhone 13 Pro is still running iOS 16.7.2 ...

Off-hand do you know if (store version) iTunes V 12.11.3.17 will support iOS 17?

I usually manage the iOS upgrades direct to phone and not via iTunes.

THANKS!

Jim

iTunes update fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.