You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I getting a warning in the data of Disk First Aid and is there a fix to it?

Why am I getting warning in the data first aid and is there a fix to it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 24″, macOS 14.2

Posted on Jan 11, 2024 1:48 PM

13 replies

Jan 11, 2024 2:24 PM in response to DODGE01CHALLENGERSRT01_01

DU First Aid encountered something unexpected when it scanned the startup drive. This cannot be corrected by DU while the Mac is booted from that drive.

To fix the problems that First Aid discovers you will have to boot from another drive or boot into Recovery and run DU First Aid from there, against the regular startup drive which I assume is the internal drive of the Mac.

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

Jan 14, 2024 7:19 AM in response to DODGE01CHALLENGERSRT01_01

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." - another favorite quote.

It's not uncommon for DU First Aid to report warnings like this when scanning the Time Machine snapshots on the drive. Snapshots are temporary files that do not affect the operation of the Mac other than by taking up drive space. Those snapshots will be deleted as TM does its thing. This is normal and nothing to be concerned about. There's nothing here to fix.

Carry on using your Mac, my friend.

Jan 11, 2024 2:20 PM in response to DODGE01CHALLENGERSRT01_01

Simply restart the computer and then run First Aid again. First Aid is not really going to fix a failing HD however you can try. In addition PLEASE ensure you have a working Time Machine back up of your system before you do anything else, if your drive is failing you need your data backed up or when the drive fails you will have lost all of it.

Is there a specific reason you were running First Aid in the first place?

Why am I getting a warning in the data of Disk First Aid and is there a fix to it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.