Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

MacOS Sonoma: Editing draft email problem, no input possible

Since updating to Sonoma, I have a very weird and annoying problem editing draft emails in Apple Mail:

• I have a plain text draft email saved.
  • If I then open it to edit the contents, I can move the cursor around, but if i put it at the beginning of an empty line, it often will ignore all keystrokes.
  • If I press enter, a new line will be created and the cursor moves down. The input is still blocked, but now the last character pressed will appear on the old line (above the cursor).
  • Only if I first press space or move to another section in the draft, I can add characters and edit the mail as usually.
  • It might even be the case, that I can write text to certain lines of the draft, but not others.
  • It does never happen when adding text to a line which already has some text.
  • The problem does not happen consistently: Sometimes editing drafts works fine, sometimes not. Also, if the problem occurs, it does not happen in all empty lines of a draft mail, but only some.

Here is a screengrab for better understanding the behaviour: Switch on the audio to hear me typing!

imgur.com/a/Wazx9os

Additional info: Pretty much all 'intelligent' features such as spelling correction or the new autocomplete feature are disabled. Also, it does not seem related to any network activity, as it also occurs when offline. My keyboard is German. MacOS is 14.2.1 (23C71), but I have had this problem with all versions since upgrading to Sonoma. I only have this in Mail, eg. textEdit is fine.

My hunch is, this might be connected to the url detection feature in mail (not this super-annoying 'link preview' feature which I switched off, but just the normal url detection), which somehow might interfere with the new word prediction feature (although the latter is also disabled in the keyboard settings), but this is really just guessing.

One would think "reliably entering text into a computer using a keyboard" was solved some 70+ years ago, but alas, here we are… any hints anyone?

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jan 12, 2024 4:56 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

May 23, 2024 4:38 PM in response to none_none_none

I just bought my first new MacBook four weeks ago, earlier today I composed an email and saved it to drafts using iCloud now on a double click on the email and open it up from the draft folder and unable to edit anything within the email. It's just completely locked. I can't do anything with it I tried opening it. I can't do anything with it. I can't copy from it. I cannot do anything with this email so I've basically paid a fortune for a computer that doesn't work properly. I decided that I'm gonna have to sell this Mac, but because I'm really unimpressed with Apple's code. It just doesn't work. I think numerous bugs on this computer since I've got it but I'm just responding to you with this one because this is what the threads all about can't edit the email.

MacOS Sonoma: Editing draft email problem, no input possible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.