MAC PRO 2019 GPU DIE 1 / 2 Temp sensors are faulty, resulting in max Fan Speed as safety mode

Mac Pro 2019 / MPX Radeon 580X.

Recently I experienced a sudden burst of the Bottom Fan on my Mac Pro. After a diagnostic in a certified repair shop, and after trying to analyse the problem myself with ** PRO and iScan, it's clear now that both GPU DIE 1 & 2 are faulty, because no values come out of those 2 sensors ( very randomly they get back to work, and fans stop ).

My question is : Are those sensors located on the GPU itself or on the motherboard ? I want to know if by swapping the faulty GPU with a new one it will resolve this temp sensors problems.

Also, what's the cost for a new MPX 580 card ? I struggled finding consistant information on the web

Thanks

Mac Pro, macOS 13.6

Posted on Jan 18, 2024 5:30 AM

6 replies

Jan 18, 2024 7:58 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi thanks for your answer. Weird thing is that those GPU DIE 1 & 2 keep working back / breaking ( at least based on what I see in iStat ). Maybe I can add a screenshot I did that showcases the problem.

is it simple enough to verify if the sensor wires got disconnected somehow ( on the MPX GPU ) ? Maybe I can look into that indeed.

Also, regarding this MPX 580 card, I don't really care which one I'm going to get honestly ahah ( but it's good to know this one is not very popular, I might switch to a better model, or even a non MPX card as I don't really care about shared thunderbolt 3 video etc.. )

Jan 19, 2024 3:11 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

MAC Diagnostic didn't signal any error, I just ran it. Although fans were blowing off full speed during the diagnostic, and still are blowing full speed right now in normal utilisation.

Regarding both T G Pro and iStat: when my fans decide to act normally, all those "weird" values on GPU sensors are back to normal, they show normal values on par with the temperature of the rest of the computer. As soon as the fan go full speed, those values are back to N/A or just not recognized. So I don't think those 2 software are at fault here IMO.

"First step is to make sure the sensor Wires going to the processor module are firmly connected." any ressources on how to do that on the MPX 580 ? not sure where to look at

Thanks !

I'm attaching a "Normal Situation" reading, where you can clearly show that those sensors are indeed used and read by the software

Jan 18, 2024 7:52 AM in response to tibo98

Many third party test suites are 'universal' in that they support many different version of Mac with many different processors installed.

Seeing a sensor value of blank is NOT definitive. it tells you the software could support more sensors than your computer has in place.

in Apple diagnostics, when sensor wires such as the one to the CPU module becomes disconnected, the raw values reported drift close to zero, or possibly to a raw value that is close to a power of 2 (64, 128, etc). The reported raw values don't typically go all the way to the endpoint.

First step is to make sure the sensor Wires going to the processor module are firmly connected.

MAC PRO 2019 GPU DIE 1 / 2 Temp sensors are faulty, resulting in max Fan Speed as safety mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.