Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prime video support after February 12 2024

Will the prime video app in my A1469 Apple TV device be supported in 2024

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Jan 20, 2024 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2024 5:02 AM

Hello everybody, same issue here with my Apple TV (A 1427). Amazon informed me that the app will stop working on February 12 2024, just because the new software doesn't fit. They say it is obsolete, a perfectly working piece of hardware that will be disposed in the garbage, what about the environment conservation? If the hardware stop working because it fails and there is no spare parts, nothing to argue about, but until it works....it should be allowed to do so.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2024 5:02 AM in response to Hawk road

Hello everybody, same issue here with my Apple TV (A 1427). Amazon informed me that the app will stop working on February 12 2024, just because the new software doesn't fit. They say it is obsolete, a perfectly working piece of hardware that will be disposed in the garbage, what about the environment conservation? If the hardware stop working because it fails and there is no spare parts, nothing to argue about, but until it works....it should be allowed to do so.

Jan 21, 2024 1:28 AM in response to Hawk road

I got the same message on my gen 3 Apple TV (not 4K). It's annoying when technology that works fine but otherwise becomes obsolete. I still use and am very pleased with my plasma HD TV.

I was actually having issues with Netflix as well this past year. It forced me to log in every time... one letter at a time with the stupid remote... if I have quit out of it previously (to say watch content on Prime, for example)... but at least I could still watch Netflix. Now amazon is saying they will cease video support on Feb 12th.

I guess I'll need to upgrade my Apple TV (for a 3rd time)... and use that until it doesn't work and the cycle repeats itself. Fun times.

Jan 22, 2024 5:16 AM in response to matitpilot

the old 3g model did not have apps but had a server side channel for amazon prime, for newer appletvs there is an app in the appletv app store, suppose amazon no longer wish to maintain 2 solutions so are closing down the server side, google did the same thing with the youtube server side app on older appletv years ago, in the same process also dropped support for a lot of their own hardware, don't really think there is anything apple can do about it but you can sure complain to amazon Help & Contact Us - Amazon Customer Service

Jan 20, 2024 6:39 PM in response to Hawk road

I received the same message on my AppleTV3,1 (A1427) or AppleTV3,2 (A1469) - not sure which.

The error message said "see primevideo.com/help", which lists the following as supported devices (with my highlights):

Apple TV

• Streaming Video Quality - up to Ultra HD (Apple TV 4K); up to HD (all other models)
    • Sound quality - up to 5.1 surround sound, Dolby Atmos
    • Closed Captions (Subtitles) - Yes
    • Audio Description - Yes
    • Live Streaming - Yes, Apple TV 4K and Apple TV (3rd and 4th Generation) only
    • Live ad support - Yes, Apple TV 4K and Apple TV (3rd and 4th Generation) only
    • Ad-supported channels - Yes, Apple TV 4K and Apple TV (3rd and 4th Generation) only
    • Profiles Supported - Yes, on selected models
    • Support Website - Official Apple Support

This seems to indicate that my/your device should be supported.

Feb 3, 2024 5:46 PM in response to Hawk road

I can tell you exactly why Amazon isn’t supporting Gen 3 Apple TV’s anymore. They don’t support ads. Whenever I watch Freevee movies (which have ads) on an Apple TV Gen 3 the ads don’t play. On my newer one, and on the Fire Stick or a Roku, they do. When Amazon announced that you’d have to pay to be ad free as of 1/31, I wondered how that would work. Then lo and behold, the announcement is made that Gen 3s aren’t going to work anymore. Unsurprisingly, yesterday our living room Roku stick Prime app asked if I wanted to add the ad- free subscription (I declined for now). But my Gen 3 still plays ad-free. This is all about the change to allow Amazon more ad revenue unless you pay to be ad-free.

Prime video support after February 12 2024

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.