Can't Install Older macOs (No Admin)

Hello! Due to several of the recording softwares I regularly use not being supported on macOS Sonoma, I am trying to downgrade to macOS Monterey but I am getting stuck due to security settings that I can not change. I have a 2018 T2 Mac Mini fyi.

• I created the bootable USB with the Install macOS Monterey file.
  • Wiped the Mac HD according to instructions.

Here's where the issue is:

When I restart holding the Option Key in order to run the Install macOS Monterey installer, I select the Install macOS Monterey, the computer restarts and then I am met with a message "Security settings do not allow this Mac to use an external startup disk."

I go into macOS Recovery > Utilities > Startup Security Utility and I'm prompted to enter macOS Password and then I am met with a message of "No administrator was found."

So this is where I am completely stuck. I need to change the security settings to allow for a bootable USB startup disk but I can not do so because there apparently is no admin account after wiping the hard drive.

What steps may I be missing here to achieve installing Monterey from my bootable USB drive?

Thank you so much.

Mac mini, macOS 14.2

Posted on Jan 22, 2024 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2024 3:04 AM

Yes this computer is reported to have a T2 Chip >> Mac computers with the Apple T2 Security Chip

• But here I am unsure of one important issue " Wiped the Mac HD according to instructions. "

Was this done Before attempting to Change the Startup Security Setting ?

If yes - sorry to present, that Security Setting would have had to be changed Before Wiping the drive in order to boot from the Bootable Installer drive

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2024 3:04 AM in response to AccSoundTeam

Yes this computer is reported to have a T2 Chip >> Mac computers with the Apple T2 Security Chip

• But here I am unsure of one important issue " Wiped the Mac HD according to instructions. "

Was this done Before attempting to Change the Startup Security Setting ?

If yes - sorry to present, that Security Setting would have had to be changed Before Wiping the drive in order to boot from the Bootable Installer drive

Jan 23, 2024 9:35 AM in response to AccSoundTeam

As PRP_53 mentioned, you cannot change the security settings after erasing the internal SSD. This mean you will need to boot into Internet Recovery Mode to reinstall macOS & create a temporary admin user during setup. Then reboot again to Internet Recovery Mode so that you can use the Startup Security Utility to allow booting from USB.

When you boot from the USB installer, you can erase the drive again, but this time make sure after using Disk Utility to erase the internal SSD that you quit Disk Utility and immediately select "Install macOS Monterey". If you try to reboot again, I'm not sure booting from USB will be allowed (never thought to try it).

You can boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + Shift + R to access the online installer for the version of macOS which shipped from the factory. Then you could just run the Monterey installer after setup to upgrade to Monterey.

Jan 22, 2024 8:45 PM in response to AccSoundTeam

Mounting the Startup Volume

In Disk Utility, select the Data volume from the list on the left and click the Mount button. If encrypted, it will ask for your password. Use the password from your old user as it should work.

Once it mounts, quit Disk Utility.

Removing .AppleSetupDone

From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.

You do not need to enter any of the commands provided in the various tutorials.

You need to be careful when entering commands in the command line. If you put a space where there should not be one, you could delete important parts of the OS.

At the prompt, enter:

rm -i /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\ -\ Data/private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

I have added the Interactive option (-i) so that it asks you to confirm deleting the file. This is your chance to confirm you have typed the command correctly, and it is going to delete the correct file.

Don't forget to escape the spaces with "\ " as shown in the above command.

Alternatively, you can enclose the entire path in double quotes, like this:

rm -i "/Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data/private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone"

With double quotes, you don't need to escape the spaces.

If you get any errors, like:

bash: <some characters>: command not found. 

You have a space in the line prior to <some characters> and it is trying to run the remainder as a command. You might see this several times if you put a lot of spaces in the wrong places. Did you escape the spaces in the path?

When entering the path in either method, you can type the first few characters and hit the tab key. It should expand that part of the path. If it stops in the middle, like Macintosh\ HD it is waiting for you to clarify which one. In that case, add, \ , and hit tab. It will then know which one you wanted.

If you have renamed your startup drive, just use that name with a " - Data" suffix or whatever it was named as found in Disk Utility when you mounted the Volume.

Restart

Select Restart from the Apple menu. It should boot up as if it just came out of the box.

Complete the Setup Assistant

The Setup Assistant will walk you through setting up the Mac.

Create a new user when prompted, but you do not need to setup iCloud or anything else for that user.

Repair old Admin user account

If you have FileVault enabled, you will have to first decrypt the drive using the old admin user password. It will log into that account. From the Apple menu, choose Log Out <your name>

You should then be able to log into the newly created user account.

• Open Users & Groups System Preferences.
  • Click on the Padlock and Authenticate using your new admin user credentials.
  • Select the old user from the list.
  • Check the box labeled, "allow user to administer this computer."

Log out of the new user and log into your old user.

You can dispose of the new user account once you confirm you can elevate your privileges when necessary from the old user account. For instance, open Users & Groups and try to unlock the Padlock.

Restarting Setup Assistant to create Admi
 - Apple Community

Can't Install Older macOs (No Admin)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.