How does your phone learn a familiar location

How does your phone learn your home or work location like if you move.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 26, 2024 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2024 6:23 AM

So this seems to imply that the phone/iCloud "learns" these locations over time and not what I would have expected like, I entered my Home and Work locations into the phone and so those are therefore familiar locations.

I don't like the idea that the phone might decide that Buffalo Wild Wings is "familiar" just because I go watch games after work with some colleagues. And yes, I suppose I can still manually delete them but that seems completely backwards from a security standpoint: I should manually set up familiar locations (which is deterministic and therefore secure) and if we want the system to automatically determine anything it should be a soft-disable. "Hey, you haven't been at this location in quite some time, are you sure you still want it declared to be familiar?"

Finally, crazy annoying that the tips and prompts on the device doesn't tell us any of this and we have to search forums to understand how a basic security function behaves.

H.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2024 6:23 AM in response to pasquale173

So this seems to imply that the phone/iCloud "learns" these locations over time and not what I would have expected like, I entered my Home and Work locations into the phone and so those are therefore familiar locations.

I don't like the idea that the phone might decide that Buffalo Wild Wings is "familiar" just because I go watch games after work with some colleagues. And yes, I suppose I can still manually delete them but that seems completely backwards from a security standpoint: I should manually set up familiar locations (which is deterministic and therefore secure) and if we want the system to automatically determine anything it should be a soft-disable. "Hey, you haven't been at this location in quite some time, are you sure you still want it declared to be familiar?"

Finally, crazy annoying that the tips and prompts on the device doesn't tell us any of this and we have to search forums to understand how a basic security function behaves.

H.

Jan 26, 2024 6:34 PM in response to pasquale173

A familiar location is a location that you visit frequently. It does not know the purpose of the location, just that you are in that location frequently.

If you move then you won’t be in that location for long periods of time, so it will forget the location. You can also reset all of your familiar locations by going to Settings/privacy & Security/Location Services/System Services/Significant Locations/Clear History.

How does your phone learn a familiar location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.