Application.musicdb cannot be read (Error -54). Tried to restore file, but I am still getting error.

I am hoping to receive some assistance regarding the "Application.musicdb cannot be read (Error -54)" message that appeared randomely last Saturday. I have tried restoring the "Music Library.musiclibrary" and the "Application.musicdb" from backups but I am still receiving the error. The backups were from a Carbon Copy backup and the rewind feature using Dropbox. So far, nothing has been able to remedy the situation.

Here is a screenshot of my apple music/itunes folder.

Here is a screenshot when I click "show package contents" of the Music Library.musiclibrary file. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Feb 6, 2024 9:29 AM

10 replies

Mar 13, 2024 6:24 PM in response to PeterV-CA

I also had this issue, and I've managed to fix it. It started when I installed some updates on March 12th. I'm on macOS Sonoma, but I'm not sure what updates I installed.

The problem seems to be that there are TWO "Music Library" files, and Apple Music is using the wrong one. The correct one is located in Users/<username>/Music/Music. I had an extra copy elsewhere because a few months back I'd been messing around with it and manually editing it. All I had to do to fix the problem was delete that extra copy, and move the contents of the subfolder Media/Music back to Users/<username>/Music/Music (since it seems Apple Music moved all the songs there to the new location - not sure if moving the songs back was necessary or if just deleting the extra copy would have fixed it).

Application.musicdb cannot be read (Error -54). Tried to restore file, but I am still getting error.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.