Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Hotspot with iPhone 12ProMax : IPV4 no longer works since iOS 17.2.1 and 17.3

After the update to iOS 17.2.1 - and still is the case with iOS 17.3 - using my iPhone 12ProMax as a hotspot, using an EE SIM,

both my MacBooks no longer get IPV4 networking.

They get working IPV6 connectivity, but I have a need to use IPV4 for my corporate VPN.

This is the same if I use WiFi or USB tethering on the phone.

If I put the same SIM in an old iPhone 7, and use it as hotspot, IPV4 works fine again on the macs.

with the newer iphone/ios I see

% sudo networksetup -getinfo "iPhone USB"

DHCP Configuration

IP address: 192.0.0.2

Subnet mask: (null)

Router: 192.0.0.1

while with the old iphone/ios I get

% sudo networksetup -getinfo "iPhone USB"

Password:

DHCP Configuration

IP address: ***.**.10.12 (I masked this)

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.240

Router: ***.**.10.1 (I masked this)

moreover, if I set v6off - then I lose all connectivity with the new ios. all works fine with the old one.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Feb 8, 2024 10:38 AM

10 replies

Feb 22, 2024 3:53 AM in response to edoardoc

Despite your attempts at various methods, you have yet to explore the crucial step of utilizing the SIM card from your iPhone 12 Pro in alternative devices. This is because the functionality of a Hotspot is contingent upon the carrier rather than the specific device in use.

Please see the pic below to make it clearer that Hotspot is enabled by a Carrier on one SIM and not by the other Carrier in the same iPhone (Dual SIM).

Use these steps first

Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi

Also, check the following

1. Network coverage and stability
  2. Data Balance
  3. On your windows (See if WiFi Auto Joins is enabled)
  4. Also, check if you have any stronger WiFi signal around your computer.

Ask the Carrier to change the SIM if nothing works.

Feb 22, 2024 4:01 AM in response to SravanKrA

Hi @SravanKra,

thanks for your reply. You say

> you have yet to explore the crucial step of utilizing the SIM card from your iPhone 12 Pro in alternative devices.

As I wrote on my original post, I have used my SIM in an old iPhone 7 plus - which is running iOS 15.8.1 - and hotspotting with it works as expected (I get both IPV4 and IPV6 connectivity).

After contacting Apple last month, I have contacted my network provider and eneterd long chats with them, they escalated and confirmed to me that the problem is with a change introduced in iOS.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Broadband/IPV4-fallback-doesn-t-work/td-p/1198999/page/3

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Data/Unable-to-connect-to-VPN-Global-Protect-via-mobile-hotspot-it/td-p/1295014

Feb 22, 2024 5:37 AM in response to edoardoc

For info, MacOS 14.3.1 and iOS 17.3.1 (iPhone 14) does not give an IPv4 address from the dhcp server

MacOS 11.7.10 and iOS 17.3.1 (same iPhone) does give an IPv4 address (172.20.x.x) on EE UK

So from the previous post:

old iOS + new MacOS = ok

new iOS + old MacOS = ok

new iOS + new MacOS = not ok

The easiest test is to disable IPv6 on the MacBook and see if IPv4 works at all.

Go figure that.

Feb 22, 2024 6:26 AM in response to sdale1234

Hi @sdale1234

I have tested disabling IPV6 on the mac - the result is that the mac is completely disconnectet from the network (in the case when I have no IPV4).

just use in the terminal

$ networksetup -setv6off "Wi-Fi"

or

$ networksetup -setv6off "iPhone USB"

depending if you're connecting the mac to the iphone hotspotting via wifi or usb.

Apr 10, 2024 1:30 AM in response to edoardoc

After the latest updates, my iPhone shows

iOS 17.4.1 / EE 58.0

now, when using the iphone as hotspot for the mac,

if I edit the wifi connection on the mac to Configure IPv6 for link-local only 

and force a DHCP refresh

then I get an IPv4 address at last

which allows me to connect to the VPN.

I usually revert the macbook wifi tcp configuration after connecting back to a normal wifi access point

Hotspot with iPhone 12ProMax : IPV4 no longer works since iOS 17.2.1 and 17.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.