Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Does Apple Music for Windows support the iTunes remote app?

I have used iTunes on my PD to stream music to airplay speakers around my house and could control it using the iTunes remote. I just installed the Apple Music App on my PC, and while there is information indicating that the iTunes remote works with Apple Music on a Mac, it doesn’t seem to be configurable on the PC version.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 9, 2024 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2024 5:55 PM

Commenting to boost post; With iTunes disabling music playback after I installed the AppleTV+ app, I've since needed to move to the Apple Music player from the windows store. We need proper implementation of past features if we are forced to make the move

5 replies

Mar 5, 2024 5:36 PM in response to DRH1133

(Reply to boost post) I also wish that the new Windows 11 version of Apple Music has support for iTunes Remote, as for now I stick to previous versions of iTunes which you can download from Apple website searching "Download iTunes for Windows". The following links leads to an Apple Support page from which I downloaded iTunes version 12.10.11

Download previous versions of iTunes

Feb 18, 2024 7:39 AM in response to DRH1133

I miss the function too.

I was hoping that after the final release for Windows11, Apple implemented the remote function. Maybe Apple will release it on a further update für Apple Music on Windows11.

The Remote App is still Version 4.5.1 and the Copyright is from 2020. It looks like they stop supporting/update the App. Maybe there will be a build in remote function in the apple music app (IOS & Android) later, or a complete rewritten remote App.

If there is another solution to use the Remote App, please post it. :-)

Apr 19, 2024 3:08 PM in response to DRH1133

It's unfortunate Apple would remove this feature which has been part of iTunes and the Apple music for years.

In any case, a work-around is to use Remote Desktop. You can enable this in Windows 10 or 11, and install the "Remote Desktop Mobile" app. This allows you to remote into your PC and control the Apple Music app directly. Not elegant but at least it's a workaround until Apple restores this feature.

Only other option is to cancel your Apple Music subscription and use other apps with PC compatible features e.g. YouTube music or Spotify.

How to Remotely Access a PC From Your iPhone or Android Device | PCMag

Apr 30, 2024 4:10 PM in response to DRH1133

Since I can’t stream Apple Music from my PC and control it remotely with the Apple Remote App, I’ve found another solution for streaming Apple Music throughout my home. I’ve learned you can control Apple Music playing on an AppleTV 4K from HomeKit or Control Center on an iPhone or iPad.you can select music, add AirPlay speakers, skip ahead, and play/pause. I’m sending lossless music to wired speakers via HDMI from the Apple TV and wireless speakers via AirPlay and the sound quality is excellent. The only issue I have is that when I pause music, the AppleTV frequently turns off because I’m doing this with the television turned off. Hopefully a future release of TVOS will allow use of AppleTV without requiring a powered on television. For now the workaround is if music doesn’t start after being paused, I go to the Apple TV remote in control center or HomeKit and power it on.

Does Apple Music for Windows support the iTunes remote app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.