Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Importing CD's into iTunes

All of a sudden I am no longer able to import CD's into my iTunes Library. I get this message--Error occurred while converting the file "file name". An unknown error occurred (-54). I thought that maybe something was wrong with the external CD/DVD player, but buying a new one got the same message.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.3

Posted on Feb 9, 2024 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2024 8:50 AM

I saw and tried the response below on another thread from user "orange barrel" today and it worked.-54: CDs can no longer be imported into iTunes

"Go to System Settings > Privacy & Security > Files and Folders > Music and make sure “Removable Volumes” is on. This should clear the issue."

I tried this and, yes, it resolved the problem. I'm extremely grateful for this solution. It is evident now that Apple was not trying to block importing CDs to Apple Music. The upgrade must have either flipped "Removable Volumes" to off or else "Removable Volumes" wasn't there before the upgrade.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2024 8:50 AM in response to nancy28

I saw and tried the response below on another thread from user "orange barrel" today and it worked.-54: CDs can no longer be imported into iTunes

"Go to System Settings > Privacy & Security > Files and Folders > Music and make sure “Removable Volumes” is on. This should clear the issue."

I tried this and, yes, it resolved the problem. I'm extremely grateful for this solution. It is evident now that Apple was not trying to block importing CDs to Apple Music. The upgrade must have either flipped "Removable Volumes" to off or else "Removable Volumes" wasn't there before the upgrade.

Importing CD's into iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.