Apple Quicktime Player 7 Pro vesion 7.6.3 replacement

What is an extremely simple easy to use low on features movie editor as simple as Apple Quicktime Player 7 Pro version 7.6.3 ?

Right now I am using a very old white MacBook running OSX10.6.8 which still performs simple video editing perfectly with Apple Quicktime Player 7 Pro version 7.6.3.

While my main system is a 2023 Macbook Pro with M2 chip (new for me last month)

iMove is not a usable replacement as it is way to heavy, complicated with an unrealistic learning curve for some of us 70 year old former power users.

I just wanna clearly be able to select a portion of a video, copy, cut paste & add music and save it as a new file. Nothing more. I don't want to edit the picture part of a video, but just cut and paste clips. I don’t need 4K video capability.

Desperately searching and I have tried a few programs out there.

Nothing is as simple as Apple Quicktime Player 7 Pro version 7.6.3

Please help…

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Feb 10, 2024 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2024 1:02 PM

Let me join you with a long flipping sigh for the lost QT7 Pro and its many super facilities.

Not managed it myself (yet!) but i think a virtual box High Sierra machine is the way to go.

Im going to bookmark this page and post when i have succeeded ...don't wait up :-)

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 16, 2024 9:42 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Thanks. Right now I reverted back to my white Macbook Pro OSX10.6.8 to run Quicktime Pro 7.

Works perfectly. I'm glad I keep all my computers running over the decades...

A 64 bit Quicktime update is all needed.

Id'a thought something would have filled that niche market by now.

iMove is way way to complicated. I used it 20 years ago and it was fine. But it also got updated beyond usability for me… sigh.

Feb 12, 2024 5:27 AM in response to dgd

I, too, miss many QuickTime Player Pro 7 features.

But macOS 14 Sonoma QuickTime Player.app can quite well losslessly trim movies. I sometimes use also Avidemux or Shutter Encoder for that. I just tried this, and Avidemux can quite handily also replace .m4v audio from .mp3, encode it as AAC & losslessly copy H.265, and re-wrap them as .mp4.

For more demanding tasks I use Final Cut Pro or ffmpeg.

Apr 13, 2024 6:28 AM in response to flipper999

Completely agree here! I have two machines running QuickTime 7 Pro, which I use quite a bit for video editing and conversion. I also use ffmpeg on the terminal, but I really like the convenience of QuickTime 7 Pro. I wish Apple would just recompile the source code to make it available for the M chips or give the current version of QuickTime the same features.

Apple Quicktime Player 7 Pro vesion 7.6.3 replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.