Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut title and smart apostrophe

Having problem in Final Cut Express HD with creating a scrolling title that contains a "smart" apostrophe.

When I enter:
Governor’s Wife*Jane Smith
(using a "smart" apostrophe created by hitting shift-option-], it doesn't show up that way here in forums)
it comes out
Governor’s Wife*J ne Smith
in the title (with the gutter between "J" and "n" where an "a" should be).

When I enter:
Governor's Wife*Jane Smith
(that's a "straight" apostrophe created just by hitting ' key)
it comes out correctly:
Governor's Wife Jane Smith
in the title (with the gutter between "e" and "J").

I could not find anything in forums or via Google about this problem. I hate to put straight apostrophes when a curly one is really called for. Does anyone know if this is a documented bug or if there is work-around?

Thanks

20" iMac G5 Mac OS X (10.4.3)

20" iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Dec 2, 2005 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2005 2:52 AM

Try using Title Crawl to make your title rather than the scrolling text function.
5 replies

Dec 3, 2005 2:59 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes, Title Crawl does work, thank you. But I'm still going to vent a little bit. First, it was not self evident how to create a center gutter. Boris website was no help, but after a bit of searching on the Internet, I found out how to do it. It is not just copy and paste, like Scrolling Text is. I have to screw around with measuring tabs, setting them and so on.

I still consider this a bug in Final Cut Express, unless someone can tell me I am doing something wrong. I cannot find anyplace to report bugs for Final Cut Express. Can anyone point me somewhere?

Dec 3, 2005 3:34 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Aha, but I am not smart enough to figure out how to create a gutter from that help guide without explicit instructions "Here's how you create a gutter"!!

Anyway, thanks for your response and I will provide feedback to Apple. (I am also not smart enough to notice the Feedback item in the FCE menu. But I swear there is no link to it from either www.apple.com/finalcutexpress or www.apple.com/support/finalcutexpress.)

Dec 3, 2005 4:52 PM in response to TFerraro

You're right it's not on the FCE page.

You create tabs in the tab bar at the top, just like creating tabbed columns in a word processor. Double click the tab to change it's alignment. Set the tab on the left to align to the right edge, and set the tab on the right to align to the left edge. Use the tab key to move between sides of the gutter.

Final Cut title and smart apostrophe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.