📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old MacBook pro versus New MacBook Air

Hi all,

I am a little bit tech illiterate, but was hoping to find a little help from this forum. I have a mid-2014 MacBook Pro 15". Its been an excellent laptop, but unfortunately since they stopped allowing it to get updates, I am finding myself more and more inconvenienced in its daily operations. It still does everything I ask of it without question (which is granted nothing heavy duty), but I wanted to inquire as to which machine is more powerful - my current macbook pro or a new MacBook Air 15" with the M2.

My hunch is that the MBA is more powerful, but my Pro has 16GB of memory (16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3) and is processor is the 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7. The MBA I was looking at only has 8GB of memory, but I am sure there have been many other advances. Once again, I am not very tech literate, so which machine is more powerful if they went head to head? I would be shocked if the MBA didn't win, but I just have no way of knowing as I have tried to understand these things, but I cannot.

Also, is it worth waiting for the M3 chip or is the M2 going to be fairly similar?

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Posted on Feb 16, 2024 1:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2024 2:05 PM

Bought the M2 air. It’s phenomenal. Newer and faster chip, better design, MagSafe, battery lasts an eternity. It barely gets warm when working on CAD. No fan noise ever, you’re giving up a lot on the M1 Pro just to get a couple less ram.

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 16, 2024 2:11 PM in response to Whopper864

Your hunch that the Apple-silicon (any model) would compute rings around any intel Mac you own is correct.

DON'T buy the one with only 8 GB of RAM.

That is a student's model, intended for use where nothing intensive (at all) is done on the computer, and all files are stored elsewhere.

the very first M1 model was slightly slower than everything that followed it. Pro processor or Max processor or M2 (plain) are all faster than original M1 plain. Other than that, M3 vs M2 vs M1 are all incremental increases.

Old MacBook pro versus New MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.