Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Bluetooth Keyboards are a disaster in iPadOS 17

Hi all, just thought this needed putting out there as since I updated my 2020 iPad Pro to iPadOS 17 I’ve had nothing but problems with my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard case. I initially thought it was Apple not bothering fixing issues as 3rd party accessories aren’t their focus, but I have also read numerous threads of same issues with their own Magic Keyboard.

The emoji keyboard doesn’t work anymore. In iPadOS 16 I could use the Globe key to cycle between different languages/emoji keyboard and it all worked fine. Now they have tried to streamline it and the Globe key only cycles through languages. That works fine. But then when I go to Settings > General > Hardware Keyboard and turn on the ‘Use Globe key for emoji keyboard’ absolutely nothing happens, it still just cycles through languages instead. I have tried removing languages and it still doesn’t work.

There is also another issue where the Discord app will no longer let you tag someone, which I assumed was a Discord bug which they haven’t bothered fixing. That was until I found out tagging works fine if you use the onscreen keyboard. It just doesn’t work when using a bluetooth keyboard, this makes me believe it’s a fundamental flaw with iPadOS 17 and how it’s dealing with hardware keyboards.

Does anyone else have these issues, or other issues when using your bluetooth keyboard? It has genuinely soured my experience of using my iPad as a “computer”. I know these may seem like minor gripes, but it’s the principle of the fact it wasn’t an issue in iPadOS 16 and we have somehow regressed with an OS update that was meant to improve things further.

iPad Pro

Posted on Feb 18, 2024 5:35 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 25, 2024 9:10 AM in response to Thomas Robinson

Same issue. Here my ALLIFE keyboard no longer connects and my Logitech K780 connects - but requires long press to register key strokes. Both useless with iPhone. BT has been around long time - never had any issue with connectivity or usage. These keyboard work find with all my other devices - like new - zero connectivity or key issues.

Bluetooth Keyboards are a disaster in iPadOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.