Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

403 error when downloading any mac OS

i have deleted my OS and tried redownloading without any success i have connected to the ethernet and updated the date (maby my time zone isnt correct?)

and tried with several OS for a long time with the same problem : "An error occured while prepring the installation try runnning the applection again , or in older versions 403 forbidden.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Feb 19, 2024 11:14 AM

Similar questions

19 replies

Feb 19, 2024 5:00 PM in response to ItslilBabich

You either need to have the date & time set to the current date & time (time zone is irrelevant AFAIK), or you may need to set the date to some time in 2017 (or perhaps earlier if you are booting from local recovery mode for Lion).

Whenever trying to boot into Recovery Mode, it is best to use Command + Option + R which will either boot to the most recent online macOS installer or if it boots to an older one, it should not ask for authentication with AppleID. Unfortunately some Macs will still only boot to the online installer for the OS which originally shipped with the Mac regardless of the keys used to access recovery mode.

As for "sudo" in Recovery Mode, it is not needed since you are already at a root user prompt. Just enter the command without using "sudo". Neither is it needed in Single User Mode.

If you have access to another compatible Mac generally from 2007 to 2018, then you can create a bootable macOS USB installer.

To create a bootable macOS 10.11 installer you generally need a Mac from 2007 to 2015

To create a bootable macOS 10.13 installer you generally need a Mac from Late-2009 to mid-2018

You can use the information in the following article to confirm which versions of macOS the other Mac is compatible so you know which USB installer you can create (the other Mac can currently be running any version of macOS 10.6+):

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

Feb 20, 2024 7:14 AM in response to BDAqua

it didnt work checked in the installer log

1. local host unknown[309] install Mac OS X Lion[563:f403] couldnt find app store version falling back to hardcoded
  2. localhost install Mac OS x Lion[563]: Error!! Error Domain =ISErrorDomain Code=1 "the server gave an error during download : 403 Forbidden " userInfo= 0x113c2a1a0 {ISHTTPURLRespondStatuskey=403, NSLocalizedDescription = The server gave an error duting download : 403 Forbidden ., NSlocalizedFailureReason=Forbidden}

In the main log it shows bootp_sassion_transmit : bpf_write(en1) failed Network is down(50)

DHCP en1 INIT transmit failed

Feb 20, 2024 7:27 AM in response to ItslilBabich

How did you acquire the Lion installer and make the bootable Lion USB installer stick? I have not seen any instructions for doing so since Apple started providing the Lion installer in .dmg format. I also know that Apple does repackage those older installers so that any instructions found online tend to not work next time.

The only way I know to reinstall macOS 10.7 would be to start with the original OSX 10.6.3 Restoration DVD which originally shipped with the Mac, then download & install the 10.7 Lion upgrade. Why do you want to install Lion anyway? Lion has a severe vulnerability that was never patched so any system running macOS 10.7 should not be on the Internet. Much better to use OSX 10.6 instead which would also be easier to install.

Without knowing the source of your Lion installer, the date may need to be set back even further...assuming the installer is even legit.

Feb 20, 2024 8:01 AM in response to ItslilBabich

I have not seen any recent success stories reported on this forum from anyone using TransMac to make any bootable macOS USB installer. One reason is that the Lion installer you linked is in a .dmg archive with a .pkg file that is used to extract & create the "Install macOS Lion" app. AFAIK, then only way to extract those contents successfully is by running that .pkg file on a system compatible with Lion. Even then, I'm not sure it is easy to even make a bootable USB installer from the contents of the extracted "Install macOS Lion" app.

The methods that we have outlined are the only methods known to work for reinstalling macOS either through Internet Recovery Mode, or for creating a bootable macOS USB installer using another compatible Mac, or by using the original gray OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard Restoration DVD which shipped with the laptop from the factory.

403 error when downloading any mac OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.