Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Dictation on MacBook just doesn't work

Hi everyone,

Dictation hasn't worked on my MacBook for a while. I've tried everything.

• Software is up to date.
  • The right microphone is selected.
    • The microphone works - checked using <sound> settings (but works fine in FT and Zoom).
    • The right volume is selected.
  • The right settings have been selected under <keyboard> re: dictation.
    • Including language etc.

BUT, whenever I activate <Dictation> the little indicator appears suggesting it's ready, but when I speak nothing happens. I know the Mac can hear me, but it's refusing to do anything. It's like my teenager.

Can anyone help? I really want this feature back.

Thanks

LG

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Feb 20, 2024 11:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2024 9:46 AM

Sadly not. Not in WhatsApp, messages, Safari, web, address, bar, et cetera.

The annoying thing is, that the little symbol comes up on screen, and my MacBook makes the noise as if they suggested it’s ready to write what I dictate. It just doesn’t.

7 replies

Feb 24, 2024 8:28 AM in response to liamgmail

Restart your computer.

I just turned on Dictation for the first time ever, and it did not work. Very anti-climactic. Luckily, I come from your Windows background, so I used this knowledge to determine that restarting my computer was the best course of action. And would you look at that.

I even wrote most of this with Dictation! I didn't realize that it includes grammar for the most part, too. That's pretty cool.

Apr 17, 2024 6:50 PM in response to liamgmail

I'm having the same issue as well on my 16 M2 MacBook Pro and my wife's 15 inch M2 MacBook Air neither one of them works with dictation. This has been an ongoing issue for a while now and Apple appears to be ignoring this knowing that this issue is all over the Internet as obviously we are not the only ones this is happening to. Right now I have my 16 inch M2 MacBook Pro in a certified Apple repair shop and they've been trying to diagnose it for over two weeks now with no success. I'm severely disabled and rely on dictation to communicate as I'm not able to type with two hands because I'm paralyzed from a massive stroke so I'm not able to type two hands. Dictation is how I Communicate on my laptop. With iMessages Google Chrome and Facebook etc.. Restart do not work or resolve the issue either I've tried everything. Apple Needs to be aware of this issue and stop ignoring it if they know about it. Hopefully they'll admit that they know this is an issue and put out a software update to resolve this unfortunate problem. Just so you know anyone else reading this that the new MacBook pros and MacBook Airs with the Apple silicon chip when you use dictation it's processed through the device itself so you actually do not need a network for dictation work with MacBook pros or MacBook Air with silicone chips laptops from Apple that require your communication to be sent out through their servers for dictation. I'm sorry my reply is not helpful I just wanted to let you know you're not alone with this problem.

Mar 1, 2024 10:53 AM in response to Junosprite007

Thanks. I faced the same problem - the icon was showing up but doing nothing.

Restarting the Mac fixed the problem. The rest of this was written by dictating it out to the Mac.

What I found really cool was that you can type as well as dictate in case something is not correctly interpreted you can manually fix with the keyboard. You can mix the keyboard and mic, which works quite well.The only issue I found was that the cursor disappeared and I've not figured out how to tell it to delete a word.

Apr 26, 2024 1:17 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hello Everyone I just wanted to let you all know that my Apple certified repair Shop Service center,

("Cornice") Apple certified Repair in Upland California) has contacted Apple about this dictation issue on mine and all of your behalf.

And According to the Apple IT Rep Tech Advisor they are now fully aware of the issue regarding the dictation issue and has stated An Update will soon be released, but could not give my rep a timeline timeframe as to when the dictation update resolution will be released.

...So for now just hang in there!

An official Apple update to fix dictation will be out soon!!

Oh Yes before I forget, and as for Myself,

..Yes I'm using Dictation in English.

An update will be out soon!!

I also myself spoke to this IT Tech from Apple and told him there are a lot of unhappy loyal Apple users customers out there having this issue and are very frustrated that need dictation to be fixed!!

I'm doing this for myself and for ALL of You that are having issues with dictation.

I'm trying to help YOU ALL.

Help is on the Way!!

...All the best.

~Mark Avalos~

[Edited by Moderator]

Dictation on MacBook just doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.