You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is moon icon on, now, the phone won’t dial out

I don’t know how it happened but somehow the moon icon showed up and I can’t dial out. Everything won’t go out or even dial. I sent a text and that went through.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 21, 2024 11:59 AM

2 replies

Feb 21, 2024 12:21 PM in response to Shoptruck

The Moon icon is for Do Not Disturb, but that isn’t why you can’t dial out. Do Not Disturb only blocks incoming notifications and calls.

If you can’t call out go to Settings/Screen Time/Communication Limits and see if it is enabled.

Here’s a guide to Do Not Disturb:

Do Not Disturb setup has been made much more flexible, but this has come at the cost of much more complication. To get it working again, do these steps ONCE:

• Tap Settings
  • Tap Focus
  • Tap on any Focus settings that you will never use and remove them (you can add them back later if you change your mind, and even create new, custom ones)
  • Tap Do Not Disturb
  • Tap People
  • Tap Allow Notifications From
  • If anyone is listed who should not call you when DND is on delete them; if you don’t want any calls from anyone, any time, delete all people
  • Tap the dropdown next to Allow Calls From and choose Allowed People Only
  • Optionally, tap on Apps, then Allow Notifications From and don’t add any apps.

All of the above is a one-time setup. After that, turn DND on or off with the Control Center Focus button (the one circled in green below). You can optionally set one or more schedules by going to:

Settings/Focus/Do Not Disturb/Set a Schedule.

why is moon icon on, now, the phone won’t dial out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.