You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility Loads Forever

Mac has really bad problems with EXFat. I have to use it given a piece of software that doesn't use Mac's extended file system. It's BRUTAL. Fsck freezes, Disk Utility stays at loading. Even just restarting the mac causes this to happen if an external drive is connected. It's REALLY REALLY BAD. I try really hard to keep that thing unplugged until I have to use it, it's that bad. And even then some, I can trip and just restart the computer and realize I didn't unplug it and messes everything up.

I'm at my wits end with this. Why Mac has not made exfat drives more user friendly to deal with, I don't know, but it's absolutely terrible and at this point, ridiculous it's been this bad for this long. Looking up stack overflow gives me all kinds of posts on how to go onto the terminal and deal with the fsck, but not all them work all the time. It's a real hit or miss. I'm about to go over and scream about this with the software manufacturer, why they're cutting corners cause "EXFat woRkS On EVerYThiNG" well, Mac falls down HARD with it. HARD.

I want to take this drive and burn it with fire. The frustration and pain I've had to deal with this is now at red lining levels. Someone in there, FIX IT. F'ING FIX IT.

Posted on Feb 24, 2024 1:50 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 24, 2024 2:05 PM in response to brosefski

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Feb 24, 2024 1:53 PM in response to brosefski

Did you format the exFAT drive on the Mac or on Windows?

I seem to recall that the Mac has not always been able to properly read some exFAT drives formatted on a Windows system.

Now, it is possible this is something I picked up years ago, and current versions of macOS do not have this issue. But it is worth considering doing the exFAT formatting via macOS Disk Utility. Just a thought.

Feb 24, 2024 2:14 PM in response to brosefski

brosefski wrote:
Someone in there, FIX IT. F'ING FIX IT.

Apple does not read this user-to-user technical support forum for feedback.

But you can send Apple feedback via:

Feedback - macOS - Apple

If you feel Feedback is not sufficient, you can get a free Apple Developer account and use the "Feedback Assistant" to find a bug that gets you closer to macOS developers.

You can also talk with Apple Support

Or make a Genius Bar appointment at a local Apple Store.

Feb 24, 2024 2:03 PM in response to brosefski

FWIW, I have never experienced this issue with the Apple Disk Utility reading external drives formatted as exFAT. Right now, I happen to have a 32 GB SanDisk USB mini-stick, formatted as exFAT, and when I tried accessing it with the Disk Utility, it did so quickly, and with zero issues.

I have a mixed environment with an assortment of Windows 10, 11, Linux, and Mac computers ... so using exFAT is sometimes necessary.

With that said, there may be some other underlying issue that is causing Disk Utility to struggle with exFAT formatted drives on your Mac.

Disk Utility Loads Forever

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.