📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C EarPods Button not working correctly

I'm wondering if someone can help me here. I have a pair of USB-C EarPods. They are connected to my M1 Max MacBook Pro. Every time I click the button to pause, it pauses and immediately starts playing again. Same thing if the song is paused and I push it to play. It plays and immediately pauses again. Double click works fine to skip, triple click works to go backwards. Single click, however, does not work. Long click works to activate Siri.

Anyone know what is going on? I've tried googling, but cannot find this situation.

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Feb 25, 2024 12:29 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 25, 2024 1:31 PM in response to DannyK024

Based on what you posted, it may be possible that the volume control on these EarPods is defective, or damaged some how. If you got the less than a year ago, they would be covered with Apple's Hardware Warranty ... but only if they are found to be defective due to a manufacturing defect.

So, if you are looking to get a free replacement, you will need to visit your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them examine these EarPods and provide you with your options. However, also be prepared that they may determine it is caused by "normal wear & tear" and you would have to purchase a new pair at full cost.

USB-C EarPods Button not working correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.