Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How can I keep WiFi from enabling itself on my MacBook Pro?

WiFi keeps turning itself on despite me turning it off. I get bad nerve inflammation from WiFi and I don't notice the WiFi is on until my hands begin hurting. Then, it's too late and it's triggered my erosive arthritis to flare up and damage my fingers.

I always have my MacBook Pro hard wired. But when I move from location to location I catch the WiFi being enabled, but not connected to a network.

What gives?

Bad enough this laptop wastes energy turning itself on with the slightest touch. Can't keep that disabled either.

Posted on Feb 25, 2024 8:52 PM

19 replies

Feb 27, 2024 3:27 PM in response to Ryan Burkholder

Apple sells the Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet adapter in the Apple online store. That gets you an RJ-45 jack at your Mac.

wiring can be run any way that seems convenient for you. Some users by what c=re referred to as "pre-connected" long cables tis connectors already attached. if you have access to floor below or ceiling above, you can pull bulk wire into your wall and use a terminating kit to attach the wires to a Leviton 'keystone' jack in a modular wall plate. Wiring runs are limited to 100 meters, and category 5 wire or better should be used.

Feb 27, 2024 4:51 PM in response to Ryan Burkholder

<<. I always have my MacBook Pro hard wired. >>

The way you phrased that I presumed that was a long-term preference, not an expression of how your space was currently set up.

if you have Ethernet already, what is the problem with what HWTech suggested? of deleting the interface from the list of interfaces to keep it turned off?

If you only need WiFi once in a blue moon, you can add back the interface for that session, then delete it again.

Feb 27, 2024 4:59 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I shouldn't have to delete interfaces and re-add. I have erosive osteoarthritis in my hands. It's bad enough having to retype half of what I type because of a defective keyboard on my 2019 MacBook Pro. My hands can only take so much. I prefer properly working software to having my fingers given extra work.

When my wife uses my computer, then she has to figure out what's going on with the WiFi. Basically, why is my job to work around lousy software made by a company making billions while we all suffered through a pandemic. We could at least get products that work properly.

Mar 19, 2024 12:59 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Happened again today, even after the 13.6.5 update. Submitted a bug report.

I get significant health issues from direct contact with wireless. Software bugs cannot be tolerated when physical buttons and switches are replaced with virtual counterparts. Make the software solid or don't replace the physical interface. Makes the product appear, cheap, like a drugstore toy.

Apr 25, 2024 9:30 AM in response to Ryan Burkholder

There is a gear icon under the list of interfaces that allows you to 'Set service order'. You may be able to drag WiFi and Bluetooth to the bottom of the list, which might make it less likely to be enabled automatically.

Also, Bluetooth uses the same radio as Wi-fi in the 2.4 GHz range. Be sure all Bluetooth options are turned OFF as well.

How can I keep WiFi from enabling itself on my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.