Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Misconception About Optimized Battery Charging with MacBook and Studio Display is Unfounded

Recently, I updated my home office setup. Previously, I used a MacBook Air with an M2 chip in lid-closed mode, connected to a 27-inch LG Ultrafine monitor via Type-C for both video and power. Optimized battery charging worked as expected, though it took some updates to smooth out initial issues.

However, after switching to a MacBook Pro with an M3 Max chip and a Studio Display (providing a clear 94 watts of power output), I noticed that optimized battery charging wasn't functioning. The Studio Display kept my MacBook's battery at 100% continuously. Researching online, I found a discussion suggesting that optimized battery charging might not work with this setup without an external MagSafe connection. I was shocked that macOS would facilitate this feature with a third-party monitor but not with its own.

Related topic:

Macbook optimized battery charging doesn'… - Apple Community

I contacted Apple Care to explain the situation, hoping to hear that it would resolve after a few weeks once the system adapted to my usage patterns. Surprisingly, they confirmed the online discussion's advice, stating it wouldn't work with my current setup. My disbelief turned into disappointment, even considering returning the Studio Display.

Out of curiosity, I tried charging via MagSafe, but the MacBook continued to draw power through the Thunderbolt connection. Reluctantly, I continued using the Studio Display for charging in lid-closed mode for another 29 days. Just when I was about to give up, optimized battery charging started functioning fully.

For those experiencing similar confusion and frustration, my advice is to be patient with your MacBook. It seems that, given around 4-5 weeks, optimized battery charging will resume working as intended.

Studio Display

Posted on Feb 29, 2024 1:35 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 29, 2024 10:32 AM in response to bortecinedumlu

bortecinedumlu wrote:

given around 4-5 weeks, optimized battery charging will resume working as intended.

That has always been my contention—

you do not have to micro-manage the battery charging, let the software work for you.

The rule of thumb—if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on the battery only—this is how you help optimize your battery charging and extend the working life of your battery by reducing the cycle count.

M1/M2/M3 SoC

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

The Misconception About Optimized Battery Charging with MacBook and Studio Display is Unfounded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.