Not a developer

Combing so many layers of information together to discover that there are no limits to what is possible. This is the first time that I am able to see how much can be accomplished by using the simplest ideas to create a new product or service that if used properly will help to improve customer experience. I am not a professional or a developer! However reaching out to you and asking questions about this is very important. The best thing I experienced was the sense of being able to heard somewhere. Navigating with a sense confidence yet not knowing where to go next and just how far you can go opens up a new opportunity for us to explore new ideas that will help our community. I was never a math major and my understanding of computer science was non existent. I need to learn more about everything. Thank so much for your time

Posted on Mar 1, 2024 4:05 AM

3 replies

Mar 1, 2024 3:44 PM in response to random211

I’m going to assume that was a lot of words for “how can I learn to program?”, as the “I need to learn more about everything” hasn’t been a practical strategy since roughly the renaissance, if not earlier. And I’ll assume that this is not “I have an idea for an app”, as that too often runs afoul of the effort involved in getting from that idea to a product and a market. The idea is routinely a negligible part of the entire app development and product effort, there.

More generally, Apple is focused on Swift for app development.

Maybe start with the Swift language document (or eBook), and with a Swift Hello World program, or similar?

Also start with Playgrounds app and its Swift tutorials, and not Xcode: Swift Playgrounds - Apple Developer

Playgrounds are intentionally simpler than Xcode. Xcode is an integrated development environment (IDE), and is very capable. But Playgrounds are also very capable, and very useful. Why Playgrounds first? Learning both Swift and Xcode at the same time is a much larger effort, and learning Swift first will get you productive more quickly. (I use both Xcode and Playgrounds. Xcode is capable, effective, complex, and tends to change quickly. Those changes can unfortunately make tutorials quickly outdated, though. All of which isn’t all that helpful when starting out.)

As for learning more about the Swift language and syntax (in addition to the tutorials online), here is a (free) Apple book:

https://books.apple.com/us/book/the-swift-programming-language-swift-5-7/id881256329

If you’re just starting out with programming more generally:

Learn, Build, and Innovate - Apple Developer

Here are a Stanford iOS Swift course and an intro-to-programming Harvard Python course (both are college level courses, and free):

https://cs193p.sites.stanford.edu/

https://pll.harvard.edu/subject/python

For a wider introduction, and wider options, beyond Swift:

I'm just starting out coding/programming - Apple Community

Swift programming language for beginners – Apple Community

Computer Science from the Bottom Up by Ian Wienand (free)

Mar 1, 2024 4:08 AM in response to random211

random211 wrote:

Combing so many layers of information together to discover that there are no limits to what is possible. This is the first time that I am able to see how much can be accomplished by using the simplest ideas to create a new product or service that if used properly will help to improve customer experience. I am not a professional or a developer! However reaching out to you and asking questions about this is very important. The best thing I experienced was the sense of being able to heard somewhere. Navigating with a sense confidence yet not knowing where to go next and just how far you can go opens up a new opportunity for us to explore new ideas that will help our community. I was never a math major and my understanding of computer science was non existent. I need to learn more about everything. Thank so much for your time

Please read through the user tip below, then post back with relevant information.

Writing an Effective question

Not a developer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.