Motion Title Project: Applied Mask turns bkgd black

Hey Everyone!

It's been a little while...I've been learning, learning, learning! Tutorial after tutorial.

I'm doing a tutorial that has given me a project file to continue the lesson with. I could (and probably should) just use this already built project file and move on with the tutorial. I'm sure that's what most people do. But I figure - how can I learn anything like that? I should try to rebuild the project myself and when I get stuck use the already built project to help me out. Right? :)

Here's the thing. This time what I've rebuilt (so far) doesn't quite look the same. I've poured over both projects comparing each and every little detail. For all intents and purposes it is an exact duplicate. Except it's not. I'm really thinking this is some kind of easy fix that I just don't know about and can't find in any of my research. And I'm going to probably feel pretty silly once you all clue me in. But I'm willing to risk that for the sake of learning! ;) So here I am to ask you great folks...what am I doing wrong?!!

Background: This is a Motion Title Project. I am applying a mask with a link behavior so that when the ball rolls across the screen it reveals the graphic and text behind it. It does what I want it to do, so yay there!

But once I apply the mask the whole background turns black. Invert the mask and of course the opposite happens. The background turns gray like I want it but the masked area is black. I have poured over this thing multiple times comparing the two projects and just don't see what is different. Finally as a last resort here I am to bother you all with it.

Any thoughts, ideas or just overall wisdom to share? My many thanks as always for your time, help and support!

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Mar 2, 2024 7:15 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 2, 2024 8:50 PM in response to Creator_needs_help

Oh! I finally recognized "Lake Havasu"!

I do the website for a friend of mine in Kingman:

https://rattlesnakeradio.com

I had to add the Lee Williams HS Football Schedule this past season and Lake Havasu was one of the opponents.

Harry Hoyler was manager of KKAY AM radio here in Donaldsonville, LA back 20+ years ago. When the owner died and the station was sold, he moved to Kingman about 10 years ago. I created the "logo" in Motion ;) .

What's really weird about our association: when I was a kid (circa 1960), I lived about 4 houses down from Harry (on North 19th Street) in Lawton OK — my father and Harry were both in the army and assigned to Fort Sill. We never met until the 1990's here in D'Ville!

Life is weird sometimes!

Mar 2, 2024 7:38 PM in response to From lake havasu

Your project has everything except the soccer ball in one group including the Title Background. Everything inside the group with the Rectangle Mask is masked by the rectangle...

Type Command-Shift-A to deselect everything in your project.

Type Command-Shift-N to create a New Group at the "top level".

Move the New Group to the bottom of the Layers List then put the Title Background inside it.

Mar 2, 2024 7:50 PM in response to Creator_needs_help

The Group 1 is still inside the Text Group for Mask group.

Grab the Group 1 "layer" and drag it up over Text Group... then to the left towards the preview icons and drop it so it's at the top level of layers. Then drag it down to the bottom of the Layers List -- make sure you don't place it back inside the Text Group so keep it moved to the left edge of the column (between the layers and the previews).

Mar 2, 2024 9:11 PM in response to fox_m

Seriously?! That's so crazy!! No one knows that little podunk town in the middle of the desert in the middle of nowhere! lol. And the history is even crazier!!

Great memory too btw! I graduated from that high school. I moved back to my hometown of San Diego for the rest of my life until about 8 years ago and went back to Lake Havasu for like 5 years. From there I ended up in Chicago of all places! And it is freaking cold here...I am used to warmth (ok, ok more like **** scapes of 120 degrees) and Pacific coast beaches. Not this Arctic polar vortex crap! haha

The logo is amazing! You did that in Motion?!!! Maybe someday I'll get that good too. I'll keep at it. The website looks pretty good too! You are quite talented and I'm so glad you dedicate your time to helping those of us who aspire to learn and create great stuff like this. Seriously fox_m - thank you and thanks for sharing your story too!

Motion Title Project: Applied Mask turns bkgd black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.