Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

how to find duplicates in iPad photos iOS 17.2

I am trying to make some space on my iPad so it will let me update to 17.3 from 17.2 I understand there is a way to easily find and eliminate duplicate photos, but can't figure out how to do it.

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Mar 2, 2024 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2024 9:33 PM

That's my problem.... There is nothing in photos that shows duplicates.... The only thing that shows under utilities is "Imports"

8 replies

Mar 3, 2024 5:54 AM in response to Jeanette Gross

Then you need to give your iPad some time to scan the library for duplicates. Keep it connected to the charger over night when you are not using it, so Photos can scan the photos library for duplicates. if your library is large it may take several days, until the first duplicates will have been detected. I had to wait for three weeks until the scan discovered some duplicates.

Merge duplicate photos and videos on iPhone - Apple Support (AL)

If there are no duplicates in your library, the Duplicates album will not be shown.

Mar 3, 2024 12:28 PM in response to léonie

How do I tell my ipad to scan for duplicates? I know I have many of them because my daughter sends to me on whatsapp and it seems to upload some of them twice.

Trying another way to create space, I tried to follow instructions to save space by using icloud photos that was supposedly going to save best version in icloud and lesser copies on my ipad. It has been many hours (at least 14 so far) of it just showing that it is 'uploading all your photos and videos' with no indicatiton of any progress. It was plugged in all night last night and still shows I have no more space than when I started this about 24 hours ago when I wanted to upgrade to ios 17.3

Mar 3, 2024 1:22 PM in response to Jeanette Gross

Among other things, your iPad will search for duplicates when it is plugged in and locked. There is nothing that you need to do. If you elected to optimize photos (settings > photos), optimization will happen over time. You'll need some space on your device for syncing and optimizing to work properly. Depending on the size of your library, it may take several days to upload, optimize, and find duplicates.

Check how much space is used versus available (settings > general > iPad storage). I've seem some folks recommend having 5 percent to 10 percent of your total device space free for sync to work properly.

Check your iCloud sync progress (in photos tap library, scroll to the bottom, your item count and cloud status display).

Delete or offload lesser used items

how to find duplicates in iPad photos iOS 17.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.