VO2 Max reading dropping despite being fitter

My VO2 max reading has reduced in recent months despite my fitness being significantly improved. It is showing ‘below average’ V02 max however I cycle 7 hours per day on some days, and do around 7-9 hours of vigorous exercise and weights each week. I have checked all the watch and phone settings. It doesn’t make sense. Any ideas anyone?

Apple Watch Ultra 2, watchOS 10

Posted on Mar 3, 2024 1:45 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 30, 2024 2:25 AM in response to Russell4

Is there anyone from Apple reading this who can help? I walk most mornings and my Apple Watch records my VO2 max. It is consistently inaccurate. I know this as I have had my V02 max tested in a sports lab recently at a reading of 44, whereas my Apple Watch is showing 33.5 over recent months with no improvement despite my fitness hugely increasing (I’ve just yesterday completed a 500km Ultra cycle off road in 3 days for example, one of a small number of people to complete it). And my Apple Watch says I am just ‘average’ fitness!! It’s a joke and a massive difference to reality. The watch software is up to date. It is the latest watch. A lot of friends are moving across to Garmin as they find Apple Fitness metrics inaccurate. As a personal shareholder of Apple for over 20 years and a user of all Apple products I find this sad. Apple Management team, you need to get a grip on this please and fix it as if elite, semi professional and amateur athletes like myself don’t trust your readings you will and are loosing valuable customers. Can you please provide the many people who have posted about this issue a clear solution. Thanks.

Mar 4, 2024 6:34 AM in response to Ingo2711

Thank you for your help. I am aware the watch only measures V02 max by walking and running for 20 minutes. The point about the bike is it develops my overall fitness. I do running, weights and cycling regularly. I checked all my other readings and with a personal trainer and it just seems there is an inaccuracy in the watch measurement if V02 max. It gives me a reading of 29 when my actual fitness inducates around 45! The watch appears way out for some reason..

Mar 4, 2024 7:02 AM in response to Russell4

My VO2 dropped 6 Points in three days after my birthday for no reason, just because I entered the next age category.

Do you use recovery time after exercising that hard?

My Garmin watch reminded me to take it slow after hard workouts, to help increasing the fitness level.

The Apple Watch does not offer such reminders in the default workout app.

VO2 Max reading dropping despite being fitter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.