Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dot leaders in a numbered list

Is it impossible to add dot leaders in a numbered list?
I created a numbered list. I'd like to fill out the empty space between the text and the margin with dot leaders, indicating where my students are supposed to take notes.
I apply dot leaders by going to Tab Stops>choosing alignment right>choosing leader. The dot leaders are added everywhere I press tab.
However, in a list, pressing tab moves the level of the list one indent.
Do I have to use another way or shortcut?

iMac 2.93 Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 4G ram

Posted on Aug 24, 2010 6:27 AM

7 replies

Aug 24, 2010 9:15 AM in response to Bart De Mylle

It is not your fault. The problem is with the silly way Apple has implemented the tabs in Lists.

To get a real tab and not an indent in a List, type +option tab.+

What Apple has done is exactly the wrong way around.

The exceptional case should have the exceptional key set.

They really need their heads banged together in the "User Interface" department at OSX, I am daily exasperated at their constant stuff ups.

Peter

Aug 24, 2010 12:43 PM in response to fruhulda

I completely understood your post, but the workaround you suggested was not at all practical. Moreover, a floating box does not move along with the text. Once you edit some text above that box and add a line, the floating box needs to be adjusted.
Peter provided the answer to my question: option-tab creates a tab in a list. Sadly I did not find this in Pages online help.

dot leaders in a numbered list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.