Is it safe to update to iOS 17.4?

got a update of IOS 17.4, is it safe to update

any bugs or breakdowns

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 6, 2024 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2024 4:00 AM

The question I always want an answer to is are there are serious issues with 17.4 that might make me want to wait until 17.4.1? I can't find that question addressed on the web. I run an iPhone SE (2020). I always have performance issues after an iOS update and usually wait a week or more before updating to see if anything major crops up.

Does 17.4 look like a stable release?

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2024 4:00 AM in response to sainallapati

The question I always want an answer to is are there are serious issues with 17.4 that might make me want to wait until 17.4.1? I can't find that question addressed on the web. I run an iPhone SE (2020). I always have performance issues after an iOS update and usually wait a week or more before updating to see if anything major crops up.

Does 17.4 look like a stable release?

Mar 29, 2024 6:46 AM in response to sainallapati

Since updating to iOS 17.4.1 on my iPhone 15 Pro, I can no longer text any android users. I've tried all the suggested solutions from Apple including a complete Reset of my phone. Nothing works! I really wish I could go back to an earlier iOS version. Hopefully, they'll get this fixed in an upcoming release. If it ever does get fixed, I'll pass on all future iOS updates after that.

Mar 8, 2024 7:12 AM in response to TalkingCatPhotos

Well, as an AppleSeed beta tester, I’ve been using it for about 6 weeks, and it’s been stable for me; some early bugs were fixed by the RC version. But be sure to read the update documentation, because some features now work differently. IMPORTANT: 2 critical security vulnerabilities were fixed in the released version of 17.4, so it is really necessary to update to it.

Mar 14, 2024 3:12 PM in response to Wendeloni

Wendeloni wrote:

Can you explain why? (This has not been the advice that I’ve received up until now.)

As Lawrence Finch explained last week, security updates.

I would recommend that the change-averse not do a major update (e.g. iOS 17 to iOS 18) for a while. They should read the forums and see what the changes are. But incremental updates are another matter. Do them.

Mar 25, 2024 7:50 AM in response to Amateurhour

Amateurhour wrote:

17.4 removed my FaceTime app, disabling my iPhone to iPad call syncing facility. Had to reinstall and go through the faff of setting up both again. Reluctant to install 17.4.1 till I hear it’s bug free

Then you will never update again. There has never been any version of any complex software that is “bug free”. Something as complex as iOS has, at any given point in time, including at release time, thousands of bugs.

And your problem with 17.4 I’m sure could have been fixed without doing anything that drastic.

Mar 29, 2024 7:50 AM in response to Amateurhour

Amateurhour wrote:

17.4 removed my FaceTime app, disabling my iPhone to iPad call syncing facility. Had to reinstall and go through the faff of setting up both again. Reluctant to install 17.4.1 till I hear it’s bug free

Then you’ll never update again. There has never, EVER been any software by any company or developer that is bug free. Never has been, never will be. It’s the nature of software development. With every update comes a small number of users who have problems, usually not because of the update but the unstable condition of their installation prior to applying the update.

For example, the 14.4.1 update specifically dealt with USB Hub problems but a couple of users reported that after the update NONE of the their USB devices worked.

Mar 8, 2024 4:04 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I usually have performance issues after x.x update of iOS though they seem to pass after a few days. It seems likely likely these are related to the housekeeping that the phone does after an update. In the past I used to have batter life negatively impacted by an update but I haven't seen that unwanted feature for at least 18 months so I guess Apple have improved updates in that regard.

Mar 8, 2024 6:45 AM in response to TalkingCatPhotos

TalkingCatPhotos wrote:

I usually have performance issues after x.x update of iOS though they seem to pass after a few days. It seems likely likely these are related to the housekeeping that the phone does after an update.

Yes, that's what's going on.

In the past I used to have batter life negatively impacted by an update but I haven't seen that unwanted feature for at least 18 months so I guess Apple have improved updates in that regard.

It's because of the aforementioned housekeeping. It also passes shortly. And, many people don't experience it at all.

Is it safe to update to iOS 17.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.