Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Battery draining faster after updating iPhone to iOS 17.4

After updating my phone to ios 17.4 my battery seems to drain faster what should be the reason?

• iphone 14+

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iPhone 13

Posted on Mar 8, 2024 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2024 8:39 AM

Shortly after? I upgraded on Wednesday or Thursday, today is Sunday and I lost more than 20% battery life with about 30 minutes screen time, no games no high battery demanding apps on an iPhone 14. I also don’t have tons of data, etc. on it, on 17.3.1 I had to charge on every second day with moderate usage.

Now I charge twice a day.

So how much “shortly” suppose to be?

Thanks for the answer.

114 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2024 8:39 AM in response to sberman

Shortly after? I upgraded on Wednesday or Thursday, today is Sunday and I lost more than 20% battery life with about 30 minutes screen time, no games no high battery demanding apps on an iPhone 14. I also don’t have tons of data, etc. on it, on 17.3.1 I had to charge on every second day with moderate usage.

Now I charge twice a day.

So how much “shortly” suppose to be?

Thanks for the answer.

Apr 8, 2024 2:59 AM in response to MEDxxiv

I almost started crying and got really upset after updating my iPhone 15 Pro. Just like you, my battery started to run out quicker. Before the update, it wasn’t like this. I looked online for a way to fix it. I found a helpful post on another Apple forum that said: “7 Steps to Solve iPhone 15 Pro Battery draining issue.” I followed the advice and turned off a few settings, like Siri and location services, which I had on for a banking app. After changing these settings, my iPhone’s battery lasts longer than it did before the update. I’m really thankful for Apple’s discussion forum; it’s been so helpful.

Mar 11, 2024 11:36 PM in response to MEDxxiv

After updating my iPhone 15 Pro Max to IOS 17.4, the battery drain is very high. It drops 5-10% every 10 mins on just scrolling through instagram. Plus I have noticed the heating issue is much much worse than when I purchased the phone back in September. In just 10 mins the phone becomes as hot as the sun even with a thick plastic case. And its not just my iPhone, my Apple watch Ultra 2 is having the same battery drain issue after updating to watchOS 10.4. While I'm asleep with the watch on, it used to drop just 4-5% in 8 hours but now 10-14% drop in just 8 hours. Please fix these issues ASAP Apple.

Mar 13, 2024 4:58 AM in response to MEDxxiv

Family of IPhone 11 users here 👋🏽 We’ve has our phones for nearly 3 years, they’re in great condition, & usually we all get about 6+ hours of battery life if our screen is going steady. Could watch 2-3 full movies on one charge!

My son & I updated to 17.4 version 2 days ago, while my husband has not. My phone has never drained its battery so fast as it has since the update, I’ve never experienced this before. My son as well. We’re lucky to get 1.5 hours out of a single charge now! Maybe a few more hours if completely inactive. My husband’s phone still holds a charge for nearly a full day when inactive.

I’m also seeing it take a lot longer to charge our phones as well - took over an hour to get 30% on my battery yesterday & that’s what had me looking this up.

I was pretty surprised by this issue & I’m a huge fan of Apple so I really hope they fix it! I will probably try to revert to old update right away, being a social media marketing manager I do way too much with my phone & can’t do it all in 1 hour.

Mar 11, 2024 10:40 AM in response to MEDxxiv

Review:

Recently, I noticed a significant decrease in my device's battery life following the Apple update 17.4. Additionally, my AirPods Pro began experiencing frequent sound cutting issues. When I visited the Apple Store for assistance, I was informed that due to the products being over a year old, they were unable to provide a resolution.

This experience has left me questioning whether Apple products are beginning to lose their traditional quality and durability standards. It's disheartening to encounter such issues, especially when considering the reputation Apple has built for reliability. I hope that Apple takes steps to address these concerns and uphold the high standards that customers have come to expect.

Mar 12, 2024 3:01 AM in response to MEDxxiv

I also have this problem with massive battery drain on my phone (iPhone 15) since the 17.4 upgrade. I charge the phone to 80% in settings and this has worked perfectly giving me about 30-40% left when I charge it at night. After taking it of charger now, I’m down to 47% battery after 5,5 hours and I’m barely using my phone during work. It feels hot at the Apple logo / wireless charging thingy. I’ve tried a forced restart and turned of WiFi and Bluetooth but the problem is still there.

this is not okay Apple.

Mar 14, 2024 5:08 AM in response to MEDxxiv

I’ve been an Apple customer for over a decade and never had to join a discussion here before iOS 17.4. It’s absolutely murdering my iPhone 14 Pro battery. I’ve disabled almost all features just to get 4 - 6 hours out of a charge. I’ve been in low power mode multiple times a day just to get through.

Is Apple addressing this? I’m extremely unimpressed and will never look at iOS updates with excitement again.

Mar 15, 2024 12:40 AM in response to MEDxxiv

Brand new 15 pro max. After two weeks of use and 10 battery cycles, i see my battery level going down by the minute. contacted several times phone support, went already to an apple store, Milan Carosello to be specific, but apparently everything is as it should, they didn’t notice any difference between before and after the upgrade🥸 maybe i was just dreaming for the last two weeks WHERE MY BATTERY WAS LASTING DOUBLE. Maybe dear Apple i got enough of your incompetence. For a 2000€ device THIS IS SO UNEXCEPTABLE AND UNFAIR. SHAME ON YOU APPLE, THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU GOT MY MONEY, I PROMISE

Battery draining faster after updating iPhone to iOS 17.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.