You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to scan using Canon scanner on my iMac with macOS Sonoma.

Whilst I can print with my new printer / scanner (Canon TS9550) I can't manage to scan. Any help would be much appreciated.

Message on attempting to scan reads:-

Cannot communicate with scanner. Possible reasons:

- Scanner is turned off.

- (If using wired LAN connection) It is disconnected from wired LAN.

- (If using Wi-Fi connection) Signal strength is poor due to obstructions.

- (If using USB connection) USB cable is disconnected.

Please check and try again.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 10, 2024 1:49 PM

14 replies

Mar 11, 2024 7:10 AM in response to CSPATADVISA

Apple's built-in AirPrint supports the Canon TS9520 and TS9520C when the devices are networked (wired/wireless) and recognized by the Print & Scan panel's Add Printer panel and associated Bonjour discovery services. When configured, Apple's Image Capture will recognize the device and allow you to scan. No Canon Software or drivers are necessary when configured for AirPrint. No USB cable should be connected once configured for AirPrint.

Also, the optional purchase (free trial) VueScan Professional scanning software supports the TS9520/TS9520C without any Canon software or drivers necessary.

Mar 11, 2024 10:57 AM in response to CSPATADVISA

I (finally) found your printer on the Canon Europe site. It does say it's compatible with Apple AirPrint, and in fact it appears it's ONLY compatible with AirPrint when running the Sonoma MacOS. This being said, I'd probably find out how to uninstall the Canon driver software (assuming you installed it?). Then I'd reset the printing system on your Mac Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem - Apple Support. Then go to the next paragraph below.

Can you review the following Canon support article and let us know exactly what's not working as shown in their guide? Canon AirPrint Guide for TS9550 Printer.

(I'm kind of puzzled why you can print on it, but scanning doesn't work 🤔. I would think that if the different WiFi frequency bands were the issue, then nothing would work.)

Mar 11, 2024 11:55 AM in response to CSPATADVISA

Just to make sure we've ruled out anything obvious:

1. Check 6 Your scanner may be locked. (Personal scanners only)
  2. If IJ Scan Utility Lite or the application is running, exit it. Slide the scanner lock switch to the release position.

Based on what I read on the Canon (EU) support page, it's not clear to me that the Canon software is compatible with MacOS Sonoma.

Mar 11, 2024 6:19 AM in response to CSPATADVISA

I had the same message appear when I first tried to set up a TS9521c Canon printer but an observation: Canon doesn't display a TS9550 model in the TS series - TS9520 perhaps?

I used Canon's Wi-Fi Connection Assistant (available from Canon's Support page for the printer) to set the printer up and have had no issues since - tedious but worth the effort.

Mar 11, 2024 11:46 AM in response to MacMikeInOK

Tried to uninstall the canon driver system (if I had installed it?), removed printers, then removed Canon folder (including BJPrinter folder) in printers folder.

- as per [mende1, level: 10 on apple community]:- First, go to System Preferences > Print and Scan and delete the printer. Then, open Finder, select Go > Go to Folder in menu bar, type /Library/Preferences/Printers and delete the files there

Tried to add printer in system settings but none available.

Turned off printer, then turned it back on and followed "AirPrint Troubleshooting (iOS)" and printed successfully. Image capture shows no devices and Canon IJ Scan Utility Lite still cannot communicate with scanner.

Unable to scan using Canon scanner on my iMac with macOS Sonoma.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.