Forgot admin password for Mac

I will be migrating data from my current 2012 i Mac . to another i Mac..From what I understand I will need my admin password for this. How would I find this? of course I save everything, but cannot locate this...I have searched on line for instructions but I would rather ask the community..Thank you.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Mar 11, 2024 9:26 AM

20 replies

Mar 11, 2024 9:29 PM in response to brokenbutcher

Perhaps Target Disk Mode would work if FileVault isn't enabled, but if it is nothing will help.

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

If you have a Time Machine backup you can connect that to the new Mac.

One last mention... See if you can create a new administrator account by restarting the Setup Assistant:

1. Boot into Single User Mode: Start/restart your Mac. As soon as you hear the startup tone, press and hold ⌘ + S until you see a black screen with white lettering. (If you end up back on the login screen after a flash of the black screen with white lettering, enter your password and it will return to the black screen.)
  2. Check and repair the drive by typing /sbin/fsck -fy then ↩ enter - as directed by the on-screen text.
  3. Mount the drive as read-write by typing /sbin/mount -uw / then ↩ enter.
  4. Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then ↩ enter.
  5. Reboot by typing reboot then ↩ enter.
  6. Complete the setup process, creating a new admin account.

Be very careful to notice the spaces in those Terminal Commands.

Once you've done that the computer reboots and it's like the first time you used the machine, except all your data will still be there. Your old accounts are all safe. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences!!

Mar 12, 2024 6:18 PM in response to BDAqua

im sorry guys but I have to apologize here as my knowledge is seriously lacking. I have no idea how to do that..

I was shown this as well ( link ). It looks like a reset of the login password and to see I must enter my old password to then create a new one, see panel, pic #7 , this doesnt look like what I need.. If I knew my old admin pswd I wouldn't need to change it in my case..I may have to forgo the migration completely. I still am not convinced I need it to perform the data transfer but have found no definite answer on this.

https://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Lost-Admin-Password-on-Mac-OS-X

Mar 13, 2024 4:45 AM in response to BDAqua

Big time. I would love to relay the process to the community, however im sure the codes this person will hammer out will look like short hand to a 10 year old.. I found a freind who I have worked with for 15 years, we are meat cutters. He has a hidden talent. Hes coming over Thursday. I will post the results and some kind of explanation of what he did, it may just be a matter of step 1,2,3,4, 100, 500..in which case I will copy down his bread crumbs.... Thanks :)

Mar 12, 2024 5:23 AM in response to brokenbutcher

Would we be correct in thinking the user ( you ) have been using Automatic Login for some time and have forgotten the password ?

How to log in automatically to a Mac user account

If so, you could follow the advise from @BDAqua and create a secondary Admin Account

The conditions for using the Automatic Login are very specific and certain condition present including FileVault turned OFF

Mar 12, 2024 7:44 AM in response to brokenbutcher

Take this with a grain of salt if you would

I am running macOS 14 Sonoma so what applies to my computer may Not be the same for your computer

When I put the computer in Lock Screen

I arrive at the Login Screen

This would require to manually input the Password for the Account I am logged into

In my case, I am the Only Account on this machine and am the Sole Admin of this computer

If you have more than 1 account on this computer, you may need to Log Out of that account and Log Back Into the Admin account

Mar 12, 2024 5:38 AM in response to PRP_53

I have the password to open, login from locked home screen..I did not think that was the admin password.. I went into preferences and then user groups. clicked on my name, it wont open. I read this was one possible way.. Is the admin password a 6 digit code?. if so, I may know it. just cant find a way to test it.. I am going to migrate data to new Mac, I believe I need the admin to do so..

Mar 12, 2024 2:57 PM in response to BDAqua

reply to BDAqua: These steps are beyond my pay grade.. I know just enough to get into trouble.. I apologize.. If migrating data from my 2012 Mac to another, ( apps, pics, google check book ledger, home screen short cuts etc) does not require the admin password, then great.. You would think, as many im sure forget, lose etc this password that Apple, after going through several verification hoops of course, would have some kind of safety net in place for recovering this. I may toss the dice and and try and follow your instructions.. Your time on this is appreciated!!!

Mar 12, 2024 7:17 PM in response to BDAqua

My thoughts exactly..All the info I look up shows how to reset my login password as these sources are confusing log in with admin code, or how to reset my admin password but need my old admin password to do so. You need your admin pswd to use an external HD as well.. I am going to take my old mac to the apple store I guess, or call to make sure they can help.. . My God how many thousands of Mac users are unable to find, remember etc their admin password?..this could not be more discouraging..I could give some tech savvy person 100 bucks.... Thanks to everyone here for all their help. Thank you BDAqua!. This mess is closed.. I have to say you guys have been very patient with me..greatly appreciated..

Mar 31, 2024 4:43 AM in response to BDAqua

Just in case anyone is interested in the out come.. After phone calls and a house call, a friend who "knows stuff", and the use of an external H.D.... the new one, 2011 21.5 has an OS too old as suggested on this forum.., not compatible with the current one used in the computer I am trying to jump ship from. From comp to comp Wifi, HDMI direct, and EHD.. current desk top in use does transfer data to EHD. but it stops there... Im going to buy the 2021 or 22 desk top, M1 etc.

again, tons of help from all of you is /. was appreicated. Thanks.. !!

Comp shipped back ...full refund in progress..

Forgot admin password for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.