Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: About Stolen Device Protection for iPhone

How do I reset a phone of a deceased person when stolen device protection is on?

My dad died last month. I have his iphone now and haven’t reset it yet with my Apple ID. When loading the recent update I allowed it to turn on stolen device protection (bad move). Since I don’t have a face or Touch ID saved on the phone I can’t reset it. What can I do?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 11, 2024 2:19 PM

2 replies

Mar 11, 2024 6:42 PM in response to Ustrademark

To use with Stolen Device Protection limits, consider going to a familiar location if you haven't turned that setting on. From About Stolen Device Protection for iPhone - Apple Support:

When your iPhone is in a familiar location, these additional steps are not required, and you can use your device passcode like usual. Familiar locations typically include your home, work, and certain other locations where you regularly use your iPhone. If you choose, you can set up Stolen Device Protection to always require these additional security measures, even when your iPhone is in a familiar location.

Sorry for your loss!

How do I reset a phone of a deceased person when stolen device protection is on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.