The Files app unresponsive in iPhone post update

If I power cycle it, the files app will work for a bit. I've quit and restarted the app and it works a few times. after a bit of time, not sure exactly how long, when I launch the app it may show a screen, or most likely a blank screen. If it does show a screen, it is non-responsive.

I've already deleted and redownloaded the files app, force reset. neither helped. All other iCloud functions are fine.

this did not start until the iOS 17.4 update.

Are there known issues that I'm just not finding in my searches?

Any help would be appreciated.

by the way, it works fine on my iPad.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 11, 2024 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 3:24 AM

I'm seeing the same issue, and it also started with 17.4. In my case, Files always opens initially, but opening an on-device folder may cause it to hang for several minutes at minimum. In a hang, the folder sometimes opens, but it never shows files. Once it happens, it will continue to happen until I restart. This also affects the share sheet in many cases. Shutting down sometimes leads to a black-screen hang that requires a hard shutdown.

I see the same hanging issue using accessing the files through File Provider Storage in third-party apps such as FE File Explorer.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2024 3:24 AM in response to aljjsdad

I'm seeing the same issue, and it also started with 17.4. In my case, Files always opens initially, but opening an on-device folder may cause it to hang for several minutes at minimum. In a hang, the folder sometimes opens, but it never shows files. Once it happens, it will continue to happen until I restart. This also affects the share sheet in many cases. Shutting down sometimes leads to a black-screen hang that requires a hard shutdown.

I see the same hanging issue using accessing the files through File Provider Storage in third-party apps such as FE File Explorer.

Mar 17, 2024 9:58 AM in response to gkwarf

Fixed it for me.

My symptoms were exactly the same as yours. After struggling with the resets, I decided to do a current backup to iCloud and completely restore my iPad Air 5 to factory settings (as if I were going to sell it). After recovering from the iCloud backup about 30 hours ago, the Files app now works as it should with no problems. I use the app extensively so, I feel it’s fixed for sure, given how often it was freezing up before. We shouldn’t have to go to that extreme to make it work but, Files is very important to me.

Mar 15, 2024 9:19 AM in response to aljjsdad

I’m having the same issues. It’s especially prominent when Stage Manger is turned on with external display. It also happens more often when Files is part of a two window situation on external display. Never happened before iPadOS 17.4. I’m having to do way too many hard shutdowns to resolve it as I use the Files app a lot.

May 23, 2024 10:43 AM in response to aljjsdad

Same issue. Seems like I get to a certain number of files in a folder and it takes forever for the folder to open, let alone open a file. Support told me it was the processor on my iPad Air (4th gen). So I bought the new one (iPad Air M2) and it does the exact same thing. Only have 24GB used of the 256 GB. Only thing in there is .pdf blueprints, quotes, selections, etc. When out on the construction site with limited cellular service, it stinks having to wait forever for the folder to load and then try to open a print. Any solutions?

The Files app unresponsive in iPhone post update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.