You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K (3rd Gen) Ethernet/WiFi Issues

I purchased an Apple TV 4K Wi-Fi+Ethernet (3rd Gen) with 128GB Storage device on January 30th. I had the device connected via the ethernet cable directly to my XFinity Gateway/Modem.

On February 28th, my Apple TV for whatever reason began having connection issues via the ethernet port. I tried troubleshooting by restarting the Apple TV device, restarting my XFinity Gateway/Modem, and was able to eventually get the problem resolved. Unfortunately, the same issue started again the next day February 29th. I did the same process as before, with zero results. This time I also tried a different ethernet cable, resetting the Apple TV to factory settings, everything I could possibly think of. At this point I just disconnected the ethernet cable, and switched the network connection to begin using WiFi instead. Whatever, I guess I won't use the ethernet connection.

On March 2nd, while listening to music via Apple Music on my Apple TV, my TV screen went blank and the actual Apple TV Device kept rebooting - displaying the Apple Logo, going black, then displaying the Apple Logo once again, while the device light was blinking. I unplugged my Apple TV device, and after several minutes plugged it in. I noticed the device was rather warm to the touch, and when the Apple TV device came back on it displayed an issue on the screen about being overheated. I unplugged the device, and went to bed. I've not had any issues with the device overheating since. The device is also still in the same location, as it has always been since I purchased it, which is on top of my TV console - a flat surface, not covered, etc.

Today, March 12th, I'm now having connection issues once again. Twice now, despite having nothing plugged into the ethernet port of my Apple TV, my device will randomly switch from WiFi to ethernet. Of course there being no ethernet cord present in the ethernet port, I no longer have a connection and whatever I'm watching is interrupted. I've restarted by devices, I've unplugged/re-plugged my devices in. I'm at a loss with what else to try.

I'm beginning to think my device is perhaps defective? Or is this a known issue? I did purchase the AppleCare+ coverage for my Apple TV 4K device. These issues are becoming rather frustrating. I've spoken with support via chat three times between February 28th and March 2nd. Each time, they wanted me to take my device to an Apple Store to have the device diagnosed/repaired. This is unfortunately super inconvenient for me, since the Apple Store is located in downtown Nashville where parking is a nightmare and not free. Truth be told, I would rather just be sent a new device, and send my current device back to them.

Any suggestions on what else I can try? Or should I try and get Apple to allow me to exchange my current device for a replacement? Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 4:49 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Apple TV 4K (3rd Gen) Ethernet/WiFi Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.