Compression preset for mp4 HEVC

I want to decrease file size for mp4 videos using Compressor - there are a bewildering aray of options and my efforts seem to produce files equal in size or smaller with a diminished quality (converting a 1080 to 720). Can you give me presets to keep resolution but dimishing file size significantly.

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 5:54 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 13, 2024 2:15 AM in response to johnnymp3seed

Quality is in the eyes of the beholder...

The main things you have control of:

codec - you seem to want HEVC, which is fine. It is typically produces files that are smaller than the more traditional H264 codec, for comparable quality

frame size - 1080p, 720p... depending on the content, this may be an easy way to get a smaller file; then it will depend on the particular content and viewing device; in some cases, reducing from 4K to 1080p or from 1080 to 720p may not be very noticeable for the viewer - for example if watching on a phone screen, you are not going to get any benefit from a 4K video, and might as well serve a smaller version

bit rate - here you have a lot of latitude. Experiment! Note that how low you can go without perceived loss of quality will depend a lot on the content that you are compressing.

Compression preset for mp4 HEVC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.