Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Sony Bravia TV Remote not working with Apple TV Box

For the last several years I have been able to use my Sony TV remote to operate my Apple TV Box using the HDMI 2 port. Suddenly last night it stopped working. We did have storms in the area and lost power but I rebooted all devices afterwards. The Apple TV Box still works and can be operated by the Apple TV remote but I prefer to use the Sony remote. Any suggestions?

PlayStation4,

Posted on Mar 15, 2024 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2024 10:17 PM

It seems to work if you turn off the Bluetooth option in Sony’s tv setting, then do the Learn Remote option via Apple TV setting. But it’s very slow to respond and it didn’t respond the same way as before. For example, when you select the “123” button on your Sony remote, then choose Apple TV menu, then Content List—before it would automatically go to my spectrum tv app and show the channel guide, now it does nothing.

I noticed the remote stoppped working after Apple did an update the other night. All my devices were off, but suddenly the light on my Apple TV (newer generation but not the newest) turned on and started blinking pretty fast. I have two Apple TVs and as long as I’ve owned both (years) I’ve never seen this happen before. Maybe it has and I was asleep, but that single light is very noticeable and the quick blinking can’t be missed. Note that only the light came on, no devices came on because of it.

Anyway, yeah, I actually prefer the Sony TV remote over the the wafer thin Apple TV remote (black front) and the Siri Remote (with buttons). Sad that it’s no longer able to control Apple TV.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2024 10:17 PM in response to gscottar

It seems to work if you turn off the Bluetooth option in Sony’s tv setting, then do the Learn Remote option via Apple TV setting. But it’s very slow to respond and it didn’t respond the same way as before. For example, when you select the “123” button on your Sony remote, then choose Apple TV menu, then Content List—before it would automatically go to my spectrum tv app and show the channel guide, now it does nothing.

I noticed the remote stoppped working after Apple did an update the other night. All my devices were off, but suddenly the light on my Apple TV (newer generation but not the newest) turned on and started blinking pretty fast. I have two Apple TVs and as long as I’ve owned both (years) I’ve never seen this happen before. Maybe it has and I was asleep, but that single light is very noticeable and the quick blinking can’t be missed. Note that only the light came on, no devices came on because of it.

Anyway, yeah, I actually prefer the Sony TV remote over the the wafer thin Apple TV remote (black front) and the Siri Remote (with buttons). Sad that it’s no longer able to control Apple TV.

Mar 27, 2024 8:37 PM in response to marlond

UPDATE: Sony TV Remote Working Again With Apple TV 😀

On your Sony remote, press the gear button to go to your Sony TV’s Settings menu. Then select the following:

External Inputs —> Cable/Satellite box setup —> Cable/Satellite box control setup —> control with TV remote

Then just follow the prompt (I believe it’ll eventually ask you “Which HDMI is your cable box?” Select whichever HDMI input your AppleTV is connected). And that’s it!

I do notice some differences when pressing the “123” button on the remote then “Apple TV controls.” Options such as “Top Menu” is gone and now the options for me are “Options, VOD, DVR, List, Favorites, Display, Last, Live TV.” Everything except for Options and Display are new and wasn’t an option before.

Note that I don’t have a cable box set up anywhere. So I’m thinking if you do have one, there might be an issue.

Mar 19, 2024 2:23 AM in response to gscottar

Okay so this is strange…

Tried the method of turning off the Bluetooth and the learn remote. Went okay until selecting final option, then I got a blank screen and nothing wanted to work. I will add the tv and Apple TV are interconnected via a Denon amp.

After several pushes at back button on Sony remote I got the tv start up screen. Apple TV still not able to be accessed. Decided to just turn blue Bluetooth back on and stay with 2 remote setup.

Things still not going well and apple tv not responding correctly.

Had a WTF moment and pulled power cord on the lot.

Turned it back on and Sony remote now working as normal, everything back the way it was. Don't know how or why but just going to run with it.

Mar 22, 2024 12:47 AM in response to gscottar

Faced the same problem after the latest Apple TV update my Sony tv remote does not work with the apple tv box only the Apple TV remote works with it I guess they have forgotten to link a tread for other tv remotes in their update hopefully they have another one soon that corrects this issue if missed by accident or else we are stuck with using two remotes

Mar 22, 2024 7:09 PM in response to stakeholder

unfortunately it ceases operating if bluetooth is turned back on (tried it several times to confirm). The reason for the need of direct view and open cabinet door might be because the Sony remote (with tv bluetooth off) is communicating to Apple TV by way of HDMI via IR or maybe just IR— I’m not tech savvy so someone with way more knowledge please step in and correct me.

Sony Bravia TV Remote not working with Apple TV Box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.