iPhone hacked with iMessage

So today I get a Imessage asking for a person by name. I responded with sorry you have the wrong number. I put my phone down next to me and before the screen shutoff it starts doing stuff on its own, as in someone remotely controlling it.

They tried opening my apple pay to access my credit cards, but required a pass code. They went into play store which required a passcode. While they are doing this I have zero control over the phone, the screen simply does not respond to my inputs at all, zero, none.

They started going into my contacts and that is when I was able to power my device off thank God. After removing the sim card and blocking my phone on my router I turned it back on and I seem to have control now. How do I make sure my phone is clean now?

Funny thing is I just updated to current Iphone software version 17.4 I think, and my phone is hacked within a hour of upgrading. Is there a potential security flaw with the newest version? I have never had any problems with Iphones before. I work in IT so I know what not to do, so getting hacked with a text message seems extremely dangerous.

Is there a security flaw with Imessage? I see there are 2 zero day exploits that were patched, but yet I still got hacked with a Imessage.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Mar 15, 2024 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2024 1:30 PM

No no no, this was remotely accessed. As it was trying to go into all my financial apps and look up my credit cards. I would be seriously surprised if this was just random glitch. And no my phone was not plugged in at all, I was using wireless recharge.

It also continued after I picked it up and moved away to a different room. It was accessing stuff a hacker would go into. It was scrolling the screen like a person, and selecting stuff as if a person was doing it.

Maybe you can explain this ghost touch more, but I am almost sure that it was not that. Also I know scammers, the only reason I responded is because my GF lost her phone recently and kinda expecting unknown numbers to call about it.

Apple has admitted to "fixing" 2 zero day exploits that allow code to be run on the phone from a Imessage. However the newest update is suppose to fix that.

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2024 1:30 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

No no no, this was remotely accessed. As it was trying to go into all my financial apps and look up my credit cards. I would be seriously surprised if this was just random glitch. And no my phone was not plugged in at all, I was using wireless recharge.

It also continued after I picked it up and moved away to a different room. It was accessing stuff a hacker would go into. It was scrolling the screen like a person, and selecting stuff as if a person was doing it.

Maybe you can explain this ghost touch more, but I am almost sure that it was not that. Also I know scammers, the only reason I responded is because my GF lost her phone recently and kinda expecting unknown numbers to call about it.

Apple has admitted to "fixing" 2 zero day exploits that allow code to be run on the phone from a Imessage. However the newest update is suppose to fix that.

Mar 15, 2024 1:03 PM in response to Aodgizmo

There are two independent things going on here. The message you got is a very, very common scam, an attempt to start a conversation with you in the hope of roping you in to a cybercurrency scam. You should ignore and delete any messages that do not come from someone you know without responding at all. John Oliver did a story on this a few weeks ago; it is truly huge business; they get enough suckers to make lots of money; it is estimated that the revenue accounts for half of the GNP of Myanmar, where the texts originate.

However, “they” did not get into your phone. What happened is your phone has “caught” a defect called “ghost touch” that is unrelated to the text you received. If it only happens when plugged in, you need a new cable. If it happens other times your screen digitizer has failed; contact Apple to get it replaced→iPhone Screen Repair & Replacement - Official Apple Support

Mar 15, 2024 2:08 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

https://www.opengrowth.com/resources/apple-cyber-flaw-allows-hack-iphone-via-imessage

This is the older exploit, so to act like its impossible is ignoring facts.

https://www.forbes.com.au/news/innovation/ios-17-4-update-warning/

Meanwhile, the iOS 17.4 upgrade also includes an update to iMessage that improves iPhone security and privacy.

Apple has issued iOS 17.4,

along with a warning to update now. That’s because iOS 17.4 fixes at

least four security issues, two of which are already being used in

real-life attacks.

Again, Apple said it “is aware of a report that this issue may have been exploited.”

Exploiting the two issues could lead to compromising the entire

device, says Sean Wright, head of application security at Featurespace.

And no mine is not the only one, there are many people reporting this lately. Why do you think they had a emergency security update, and strongly recommends you update to it.

Also I thought you said it needs to be plugged in for it to ghost touch, which it was not. My phone works fine with airplane mode on, when I turn it off a few minutes later it starts opening stuff on its own and only financial stuff. Odd how it picks them... a reboot and with airplane mode on it works fine. So clearly something more is going on here.

Mar 15, 2024 2:55 PM in response to Aodgizmo

Believe whatever you want. Your problem is ghost touch.

and none of the flaws fixed in 17.4 have anything to do with iMessage or messages in general. They are all exploits that can be built into 3rd party apps.

Oh yes, the first link refers to Pegasus, which is not what infected you unless you are so important on the world state that it would be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to hack your phone.

Mar 15, 2024 3:43 PM in response to Aodgizmo

If you feel the need, then start with restoring your phone. This will completely wipe your device. To be sure no software is loaded back on your device, then do not restore from a backup. Of course you will want to make sure you have saved any important data. The cost to do this is free and a good troubleshooting step to do before any hardware repair to eliminate a software issue.

If your screen is cracked at all, then don't even bother with the restore and go straight to the screen replacement.

Mar 18, 2024 7:37 AM in response to Aodgizmo

Aodgizmo wrote:

I was possibly hit with this New iPhone Exploit Uses Four Zero-Days. For the people saying Imessage is secure, I am 99% sure that is how I got hit. I received a text, and responded to it and than within 1 min my phone was remotely controlled.

Thanks everyone for the help, I appreciate the input and back and forth.

No, it is not possible that is the cause. If you actually read the article from my associate Bruce Schneier. First, it was posted 2 1/2 months ago, and it explicitly says it attacks phones that are running iOS versions up to 16.2. Which is why Apple specifically released iOS 16.3 over a year ago to block it. As you are running iOS 17.x your phone is not at risk.

In addition, it loads spyware, and does not take control of the iPhone.

And finally, Bruce ends with This is nation-state stuff, absolutely crazy in its sophistication. Kaspersky discovered it, so there’s no speculation as to the attacker.

"Nation-state stuff” means some government lab developed it to spy on political opponents, so, unless you are important enough on the world stage to be worth the effort of North Korea, Russia, or other world governments to spy on you this is not the answer to your issue.

Mar 15, 2024 3:28 PM in response to Aodgizmo

It is your digitizer that is causing ghost touches and no, your phone does not need to be plugged in. Lawrence Finch did not say your phone has to be plugged in, just said that if it is plugged in it could also be the cable that will cause ghost touches. The digitizer is built into the screen and a screen replacement will solve the problem. I assume you do not have a screen protector and battery condition also plays a role, but I assume your battery health is greater than 80%.

There is no question that there have been exploits found by researchers that have been patched and will continue to be patched. This has gone on since computers have been around with a cat-mouse game of hackers and patches to prevent them. NSO Group has offered software/hardware to Governments and possibly bad actors that cost in excess of $500 million dollars per device. Unless you are a high level target, you have nothing to worry about. And if you are a high level target, then you should also be taking other precautions that are beyond the scope of a Support Forum.

If you continue with your iPhone without replacing the digitizer, you can count on getting locked out of your device by the ghost touches continuing to enter the incorrect passcode. Make sure you have a recent backup as your device will need to be wiped to reset the passcode. This will not go away and will gradually get worse.

Mar 15, 2024 3:32 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

See the thing is my phone works completely fine with out internet access. Not a single problem. I have looked at examples of ghost touch and it was not what happened with my phone, that looks very random.

The phone scrolled over 2 pages, opened my wallet, opened my credit card and selected something that required a passcode. It exited that pass code screen, closed my wallet, scrolled back 2 screens, opened app store, went to payment options and tried to do something that required a pass code...

once again, it closed that, went back to main screen, scrolled over a page and opened my text messages. It than began to select multiple peoples chats and that was when I forced a shutdown.

If this was just random ghost touch, I am impressed it did exactly what a hacker would be looking for. The way it was scrolling, the way it was selecting items on the screen, it was not random. I also had ZERO control over the device while all this was happening. I could not pull the screen down, I could not select anything, I could not do any touch commands.

After the shutdown everything has worked 100% fine for a hour or 2. I rejoined my internet router and within 2-3 mins my phone starts going into my wallet again and opening my payment information. I can't believe this is random digitizer glitch. it looked like someone using the device.

Mar 15, 2024 3:46 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Already working on restoring...nope screen is scratch free, is almost brand new. I work in IT, so I know the difference between remotely controlling a device vs random glitch from a bad screen. I am 99% sure my phone has malware or something that is infecting it to gain access.

Guess we will see when apple releases what the exploits are after they have given time to people to update.

Mar 17, 2024 10:31 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Mac Jim ID wrote:
I assume you do not have a screen protector and battery condition also plays a role, but I assume your battery health is greater than 80%.

Yes I have a Otterbox, worth every penny. The screen is in mint condition, almost zero scratches, and my battery life is at 98%. I have had zero issues after factory resetting my phone. So it is clearly not the screen going bad.

I was possibly hit with this New iPhone Exploit Uses Four Zero-Days. For the people saying Imessage is secure, I am 99% sure that is how I got hit. I received a text, and responded to it and than within 1 min my phone was remotely controlled.

Factory reset seems to have fixed it, no unresponsive screen while it goes into my wallets and app store anymore. I would be very surprised if it did that randomly from a bad screen, it looked as if it was being controlled with a person scrolling and selecting things, no randomness at all.

Thanks everyone for the help, I appreciate the input and back and forth.

Mar 18, 2024 1:11 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I was on a previous IOS version when I got hacked, I just recently updated to newest version after my phone got hijacked.

My point was there are hacks out there that can target you with zero click Imessages. People were saying it not possible cause Apple...

My information was leaked in the Ledger breach so I am a known target for crypto hackers. I see emails all the time that are phishing.

Its not hard for me to believe there is more exploits out in the wild that are unknown or not patched yet and maybe much easier to use. The message that started my problem was from China go figure.

My phone was remotely accessed, they attempted to access my wallets and financial information. It started right after I responded to a Imessage. Believe what you want, but the timing points to a Imessage exploit, considering I don't use my phone for anything besides calls, texts and Amazon purchases.

iPhone hacked with iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.