Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Remote Desktop 3.9.7 crashing on Sonoma

I've been seeing Remote Desktop crash very often when switching between screens on a remote connection. Also, when viewing both of a clients screens together the windows do not refresh as the client computer's user moves the mouse, windows, etc. I use this every day for production work and to assist co-workers remotely. It's slowly becoming unusable. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, any affordable alternatives are also appreciated.

Posted on Mar 16, 2024 10:40 AM

2 replies

Mar 29, 2024 8:05 AM in response to brianbeck

Apple is not here, this is a user-to-user forum and as such we are all users like yourself. If you want direct support from Apple itself then I suggest you click the Support link at the top of this page.

However, based on my experience of ARD over the years, I would try and eliminate as much as possible by doing the following:

Back up anything important you may have and start off with a format and clean install of macOS with nothing else added. No additional apps or software, utility programs, drivers or anything else 3rd party. Now install ARD and test it. If it works as it should then start adding everything else you normally install one by one. Test after each installation. Continue in this way until you have everything you normally use installed. Eventually you should catch the culprit causing the crash. If it doesn't crash after doing all of the above then it was probably some corrupted legacy kext, driver or preference file that may have caused the problem that only a "nuke and pave" would uncover and fix. In which case doing the suggested work has paid off. I wouldn't rule out potential hardware problem either so if you have access to another Mac, install ARD on that device and see if the same problem happens.

Good luck.

Remote Desktop 3.9.7 crashing on Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.