Photo data loss for the entire day on iOS 17.4 + iPhone 15 Pro Max

I ran a half marathon, took plenty of photos including the finish line. Took a few video clips as well. Got back to my apartment and began charging.

I launched Apple Music to check out a new album. At that point Apple Music froze and I couldn’t go back home. I could make the phone sleep, wake, launch camera from Lock Screen, but still could not dismiss Apple Music to go back home. I couldn’t open Notification Center but could open control center. I left it alone for a few minutes but decided to do a force reboot

After rebooting, I discovered all photos and videos I took that day vanished. I checked deleted folder and hidden folder and it’s no where to be found. My half marathon photos are completely gone.

This is one of the worst iOS bugs I’ve ever encountered.

Are there any third party tools that would let me inspect for corrupted photos?

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 16, 2024 4:07 PM

5 replies

Mar 19, 2024 2:18 PM in response to kankurou

Hello,

I just encountered the same problem! It's very disappointing, more than a day's worth of vacation photos lost!

Hopefully, they can be recovered with the data cache or other means...

For your information, I couldn't share some photos anymore, I restarted, and everything was lost.

I advise you to send the ones you can to someone or to a cloud to back them up!

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Mar 18, 2024 5:40 PM in response to kankurou

Had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. Rebooted my phone and it deleted all my photos from the day. Not only that, it also deleted data from other messaging apps -- I lost entire conversations. It's like nothing was being saved to iPhone storage all day and then the reboot wiped memory and that, as they say, was that. It's unfortunate a bug causing catastrophic data loss is out in the field right now.

May 21, 2024 3:45 AM in response to kankurou

I also had the same problem with missing images that were restored after the upgrade. When I restarted the application, all 50 images that had not been synchronized with icloud were lost. I was very disappointed to hear from support that the images disappeared because I rebooted during synchronization and that there was no way to restore them. After that, it froze while syncing again, and I could not do anything on the settings app screen because of a whiteout. I don't know if this is a bug or not. I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I am very happy as I had lost the images.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I'm very happy to see the images disappear. It should be possible to reboot due to a dead battery. I also don't understand apple's attitude that photos are not subject to icloud backup and should be backed up separately by individuals.

[Edited by Moderator]

Photo data loss for the entire day on iOS 17.4 + iPhone 15 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.