Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Garageband with low fps and macos going to sleep

Hey there everone. I'm having an issue with Garageband (two actually). In one hand, when I start playing the recorded tracks (guitars, bass, drums, keyboard and so on, 12 tracks in total, nothing really big) the timelilne starts moving ok and smootly, but after 1 or 2 minutes, it starts lagging, like having low fps in the moving timeline, also, after the configured 5 minutes, macos turns off the screen and goes to sleep, I don't know if these are related, but I think it shouldn't go to sleep while playing the tracks in garageband; I've searched for a solution, but I Haven't found anything that can help mw with that. Has this happened to anyone else? if so, have anyone figured out how to fix it? I'm using a MBPro, 32GB Ram and Macos 14.4 (Sonoma). Thank you for your support.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Mar 18, 2024 9:08 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 17, 2024 2:29 PM in response to Pedrovapo

Hi,I have the same issue with the GarageBand frame rate slowing down after a couple minutes or so. I am on an M2 Mac mini with 8GB of RAM on macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 (I also had the issue on 14.4). This issue started randomly after the Mac had not been switched on for a few days. It is occurring on all projects (including completely blank ones) and over all user accounts.

I’m not having any problems with the Mac going to sleep however.

A temporary fix I’ve found is to adjust the zoom in the tracks view and/or the editor a tiny bit - it goes back to running smoothly for a couple minutes but then it starts lagging again. Also I’ve found the issue only occurs when “Catch playhead” is enabled in either of the tracks view or the editor (but this is the default and a pretty essential feature imo).

Some stuff I tried that wasn’t successful: updating macOS, updating Garageband, switching input device, launching without the core audio driver, launching without Audio Units, resetting GarageBand preferences through the terminal.

Garageband with low fps and macos going to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.