After the Sonoma 14.4 update, Mac mini keeps crashing and restarting

Since updating my 2023 M2 Mac Mini from 14.3 to 14.4 I have had it crash and restart 3 or 4 times. This last time I was using it and saw it happen. My monitor flashed magenta then went black and the power LED on my Mini went black and then came back on along with the start up sound. Every previous time this occurred, I was away from my computer and came back needing to log in and was informed that my system had crashed. I have reported it each time.

Is anyone else experiencing this, or am I just the lucky one?

Does anyone have any ideas about what is happening?

What can I do to prevent this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini (M2, 2023)

Posted on Mar 18, 2024 5:31 PM

12 replies

Mar 26, 2024 3:18 AM in response to JimFerguson

Same machine as yours and zero issues even with the latest Sonoma 14.4.1 released Monday ( Yesterday )

To avoid the question / answer and question answer scenario

Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading.

It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

Does the issue present in this mode ?

Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

Download the Application Etrecheck  ( External Link ) directly from the Developer.

The Application is Not a " Silver Bullet "  and is  only a tool to examine the Hardware / Software used on this computer 

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer Hardware / Software used on this computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

Lastly - should you decide to use and post the Report now or at a later time, we are willing to have a very close look and offer some insights 

Mar 26, 2024 8:25 AM in response to yaoyp

More than one antivirus app - This computer has multiple antivirus apps installed.

CleanMyMac, and AdGuard

Roll my eyes and say CleanMyMac aka BrickMyMac claims Yet and other Victim

How to erase all content and settings

Specific to CleanMyMac aka “ BrickMyMac

To put the CleanMyMac in context and the damages it may have or has already done.

This application can or will Muck Up your User Account ( Home Folder ) of this machine.

It does not touch the Operating System itself unless you consider your User Account ( Home Folder ) as part of the Operating System

Then in that specific context - it has Mucked Up the Operating  System 

Mar 27, 2024 12:20 AM in response to yaoyp

With respect, unless there was a Hardware failure , not lightly it is macOS issue.

Unlike MS Windows computers where most of the Hardware is pieced together from various Third Party components.

Apple designs the components to their specific specifications to work with macOS

macOS is specifically designed to work with specific Apple Computers

To close out, have presently, 1 M1, 2 M2 and 1 M3 all running Sonoma 14.4.1 without a single crash

But then again, I have never every installed an Disk Cleaner, Disk Optimizers, Third Party Security Software.

Had I and knowing what is known about these softwares.

Would have taken a different route that you have and used the Erase All Content and Setting, the start again from scratch

To each there own

Good luck with this ongoing computer issue

Mar 27, 2024 12:21 AM in response to PRP_53

With respect, unless there was a Hardware failure , not lightly it is macOS issue.

Unlike MS Windows computers where most of the Hardware is pieced together from various Third Party components.

Apple designs the components to their specific specifications to work with macOS

macOS is specifically designed to work with specific Apple Computers

To close out, have presently, 1 M1, 2 M2 and 1 M3 all running Sonoma 14.4.1 without a single crash

But then again, I have never every installed an Disk Cleaner, Disk Optimizers, Third Party Security Software.

Had I and knowing what is known about these softwares.

Would have taken a different route than you have and used the Erase All Content and Setting, the start again from scratch

To each there own

Good luck with this ongoing computer issue

After the Sonoma 14.4 update, Mac mini keeps crashing and restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.