Apple Pencil doesn’t work with Sidecar

Hi,

I’ve just bought my first macbook and I have an issue with sidecar. When I connect iPad as a second display, I can not use apple pencil in this mode. When I switch to the iPad menu it starts working again. And sidecar itself works perfectly, I’m just not able to use apple pencil. I’ve tried to find answers for this issue but never found anyone even asking about the same thing. It seems apple pencil should work by default, but it does not. What may be wrong?

My devices are iPad Pro 2022 12.9” (iPadOS 17.3.1) with apple pencil 2nd gen, macbook m2 pro 14” (macOS 14.4).

Thank you!

iPad Pro, 17

Posted on Mar 19, 2024 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2024 10:00 AM

Macbook Air M1 (MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1)

iPad Pro 1st gen (12.9-inch) - iPadOS 16.7.7

Exact same issue here, 1st gen apple pencil works fine on apps running in the ipad but it's not responsive to inputs done through sidecar. None of the online help posted in the community forums, reddit or apple remote support helped me.

Similar questions

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2024 10:00 AM in response to TessyChan

Macbook Air M1 (MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1)

iPad Pro 1st gen (12.9-inch) - iPadOS 16.7.7

Exact same issue here, 1st gen apple pencil works fine on apps running in the ipad but it's not responsive to inputs done through sidecar. None of the online help posted in the community forums, reddit or apple remote support helped me.

Mar 23, 2024 3:23 AM in response to TessyChan

Unfortunately, I've the same problem. I've tried everything following:

1. Update ipad pro (16.7.7) and macbook air (Sonoma 14.4)
  2. Reset ipad network setting, reconnect to same WiFi, bluetooth enabled, USB connected
  3. Reset macbook bluetooth setting.
  4. Restart ipad and macbook.
  5. Makesure all battery and power fully charged

Any other things I can try?

The symptom is, i can use pencil on ipad pro as usual, but when sidecar my ipad to work as screen to macbook, the pencil won't be able to work on the macbook application.

I can screen mirror my ipad to macbook and use my pencil as a cursor on macbook, but that's not the point.

I want my pencil to work on the application run on macbook while using ipad as my sidecar screen. which had been always working as usual before the recent Sonoma update (which is today's morning).

Yesterday I still able to use my ipad pro as a drawing tablet as usual.

Nothing special happened, no rain, no thunder, nothing dropped everything good.

Suddenly after update... everything not working as usual.

Mar 29, 2024 4:21 PM in response to TessyChan

I had exactly same problem with one of my two MacBook Pros:

Sidecar paired with iPad Air 5th Gen (iPadOS 17.4) using Apple Pencil 2nd Gen:

> MacBook Pro 14 (M2 Max) (macOS Sonoma 14.4.1) --> Apple Pencil does NOT work in Sidecar window.

> MacBook Pro 16 (Intel) (macOS Sonoma 14.3.1) --> Apple Pencil works fine in Sidecar window.

In both combinations, scrolling with two fingers and other finger gestures still worked fine. It was just Apple Pencil not recognized in Sidecar with one of my machines with macOS Sonoma 14.4.1.

I was not sure if it was iPad issue or MacBook issue, or related to Apple Silicon or Intel, but reading your report and others, it sounded like some interoperability issue that might have been introduced around macOS Sonoma 14.4 and/or iPadOS 17.4.

Good news is that I upgraded my iPad Air to iPadOS 17.4.1 today, and Apple Pencil started working fine in Sidecar when paired with MacBook Pro 14 (M2 Max) (macOS Sonoma 14.4.1), and it still works with my MacBook Pro 16 (Intel) (macOS Sonoma 14.3.1) as well.

Hope this helps.

Mar 23, 2024 1:22 PM in response to asvoria128

Updates, after over 5 hours of chat with Apple Support, they ask me to provide time zone and phone number, but then ask me to call their help line.

This lead to no conclusion since my problem rise all after installing the update, which was previously okay.

Now my macbook, ipad pro and pencil are all useless to me since the most basic function is not working.

Hope others are having better luck. Do share steps that worked if any.

Mar 30, 2024 6:38 AM in response to TessyChan

I have the same issue. old iPad Pro 11" running 17.3.1 with apple pencil 2 that works fine on the iPad.

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 M1 14.4.1 AND an iMac 27" 2019 intel i5, daisy chained together w/ USB 3 (ipad) and thunderbolt (iMac and macBook). 2 finger scroll works both extending and mirroring either computer, iPencil does nothing while sidecar on OTHER than iPad interactions (i.e. it does work on the sidebar, but not anywhere in the mirrored or extended screen).

There are older posts suggesting security / firewall settings, will tinker with those and report back.

Can't find anything useful.

Apple Pencil doesn’t work with Sidecar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.