iPhone Mail freezes and locks up

Over the last week my iPhone mail has been freezing and crashing. If I reboot the phone it works for a while, but when I switch email accounts it begins freezing with missing emails and finally it just freezes. I have tried deleting accounts and adding them back in to no avail.

iPhone SE (2nd generation)

Posted on Mar 20, 2024 6:41 AM

3 replies

Mar 20, 2024 6:47 AM in response to KevinAGI

Remove your email account and set it up again

Make sure that all of your emails are there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than your device. On your device, go to Settings > Mail, then tap Accounts. Tap the email account that you want to remove. Tap Delete Account.

If you can't receive email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ...

If you can't send an email on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

1. When you make an iOS or iPadOS backup in iCloud or iTunes, it backs up your mail settings, but not your email. ... 
  2. Make sure your device is connected to the Internet.
  3. Check with your email service provider to find out if there's a service outage.

More items...

If you can't send an email on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch ...

Which email account are you referring to? Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other (Refer to the pic )below

1. Is this your corporate iPhone? Then please contact the system administrator of your corporate
  2. If it is your personal device, in that case, do you have any profile installed by your corporate/organisation/enterprise/School Management?
    1. Erase the profile added by you If you have installed a profile on your own --> Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone - Apple ...
    2. Or please contact the system administrator of the organisation who provided the profile to you

It's crucial to emphasize that when you enable 2-step verification for your Outlook (Hotmail) account, you need to utilize a specially generated app password from Microsoft to access the same account through the iOS mail app. --> Manage app passwords for two-step verification

Using an app password is essential if you enabled two-step verification for your Outlook (Hotmail) account. Two-step verification adds an extra layer of security by requiring a code from your phone or authenticator app in addition to your password when signing in. Regular passwords won't work with apps that don't support two-step verification, which is why Microsoft created app passwords. Just generate an app password for your iPhone's mail app and you'll be good to go!

Here are some additional points you might find helpful:

• You can generate app passwords through your Microsoft account security settings.
  • App passwords are unique and only work for the specific app they're created for.
  • Consider creating strong and unique passwords for your Microsoft account and other online accounts.

This applies to Google, Yahoo and Aol too.

You may have enabled two step verification on Google --> Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help

You may have enabled Authenticator for Yahoo --> Generate and manage third-party app passwords | Yahoo Help

You may have activate 2-step verification for Aol --> Create and manage third-party app passwords - AOL Help

Jun 17, 2024 2:09 AM in response to KevinAGI

Same story here. See my post of the subject. Apps Mail, File and Settings freezing more and more often and then all the phone is freezing and often goes in Panic Full. Restore from backup doesn’t help: after a couple of hours it starts again; restore from scratch works, but after some weeks the problem reappears. Apple unable to address it (they even let me change the iPhone board) and suspects go on some bugs affecting iOS from version 17.4.

iPhone Mail freezes and locks up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.