MacBook Pro 14-inch Nov 2023 panicked.

CPU is M3 Max.

MacOS Sonoma 14.4

Panic dump is attached.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Mar 22, 2024 4:41 AM

9 replies

Apr 2, 2024 5:12 PM in response to Energee

You have a lot of third party software installed that I am unfamiliar since I've never seen it in any other EtreCheck reports. I'm not a macOS software expert, so hopefully another contributor will chime in to offer an assessment of your EtreCheck report.

A quick search online revealed one hit for the "macos kernel panic IOMediaBSDClient" where it appeared the user thought it was related to their Time Machine backup. I'm wondering if perhaps your Synology backup software is causing a problem. It is the only other third party driver listed in the Kernel Panic logs.

busy timeout[0], (60s): 'AppleAPFSMediaBS… - Apple Community

Mar 22, 2024 6:09 PM in response to Energee

Run the third party app EtreCheck and post the complete report here so we can examine it for clues.

The only thing I can get out of the Kernel Panic log is that the last driver which was loaded was for MacFUSE. May or may not have anything to do with the problem, although at the beginning of the Kernel Panic it mentions "busy timeout ......'IOMediaBSDClient' ".

Apr 2, 2024 6:59 PM in response to Energee

You have partially installed fragments of TunnelBlick and possibly other VPN stuff all over the place. Any one of those can ruin performance all by itself.

if you need to use a VPN to be "present" on an institutional Network, then the Institution should be providing and supporting the VPN and the software.

MANY other uses of VPN do NOT improve your security. In many cases, VPN provides a single place where all your data can be hacked at once, saving a lot of time and effort for the hackers.

Apr 3, 2024 4:49 AM in response to Energee

It seems that this issue is related to this, as HWTech suggested:

busy timeout[0], (60s): 'AppleAPFSMediaBS… - Apple Community

Both of the kernel panics occured when I opened the screen, so the laptop was in sleep mode. It seems that there's a bug there somewhere, related to IOMediaBSDClient.

What I've done to resolve this, is that I disabled to "backup on sleep" on the Synology Active Backup task settings.

Since this also happens with Time Machine, I don't consider this issue related to Synology.

Apr 25, 2024 8:05 PM in response to Energee

Unfortunately the portion of the Kernel Panic log you posted does not appear to provide any extra useful information.

The most likely software culprits are any of the software items listed under Launch Agents and Launch Daemons since these items are running deep in the bowels of macOS where a tiny hiccup in their software can cause all sorts of issues with macOS....including Kernel Panics. I am unfamiliar with most of the items listed in your EtreCheck report which means almost any one or a combination of those items are the most likely to cause problems. If you uninstalled any of them, then you may want to run another EtreCheck report to confirm no portion of those deleted apps remain in the bowels of macOS. A lot of apps tend to leave junk behind even when using the developer's uninstaller.

Also disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. The diagnostics rarely find problems, but it never hurts to check. I doubt it is a hardware issue.

You can also try running Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll back through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If there are errors listed, then run First Aid again until the errors are gone. You may need to run First Aid while booted into Recovery Mode to fix some errors. Unfortunately some errors may not be repairable.

Unfortunately, this is about the limits of what I can offer you since I am not familiar with the software installed on your system, so it will be up to @Grant and other contributors to provide suggestions.

Kernel Panic on M3 max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.